Honest Opinions Please

Eric,

I'm thinking that the 'dirt' on the panels in your first photo look like the car was lying on its side, and the wash puddled toward the centers of each panel and away from the rivets - sort of a 'negative' of the filth patterns on a typical coal hopper, which would look more like your second pic.

look's ok to me Eric, maybe a bit more dirt, coaldust and grime on the underside of the body by the hopper door's, but in all honesty it look's fine to me

I know it's probably not what you were looking for, but I'd like to offer one bit of constructive criticism. Almost no one gets this right: the wheel faces on friction bearing trucks are black, not rust orange/brown. Oil from the bearing leaks onto the wheel face and collects road grime.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notice the black wheels on the 1xxx cars. Even in iron ore country, where everything is covered by rust and red-brown ore dust, the wheel faces on the friction bearing trucks are black, as well as around the journal box. The 9xxx cars have roller bearing inserts, so they're rusty and dusty. The wheel backs and axles are rusty on both bearing types.

With as rare as friction bearings are these days, and just as rare as color photos from when they were common, it's an easy mistake to make. I never noticed until it was pointed out to me. Thought I'd pass this little tidbit along!

Thanks! That's good info.

Do you know how much work you just created for LGM? :D

looks good..can wait to get movin on sum of older stuff..

Back