modeltrainstuff

modeltrainstuff.com
Just curious if we have any HOn3 modelers on this forum. With the increase of readily available, and ready to run rolling stock is seems that the scale is becoming more popular.

Blackstone, Micro-Trains as well as a few others are putting out some nice stuff!

461rgspopup.gif

That Blackstone model is beautiful, kind of makes me want one. Can't afford it though.

Josh try to stay away from seeing one with sound then... They are making it very tempting to get into HOn3, their weathered rolling stock is very well done too.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
I have a couple of HOn3 Locos, a K-27 compound and a 0-6-0T, both brass and very nicely detailed. The layout I'm building is mainly HO, turn of the Century, but I may try
an work in some HOn3 if I can?

The Blackstone loco and cars are very nice indeed, time will tell what's going to happen on my end.

Take care.

Blackstone just updated their website! Lots of new releases too!

C-19's
more gondolas....
and Long Cabooses

And more work for me to do now!

Ryan

Well this is disappointing. I came to this site a few days ago hoping to find a group of HOn3 kindred spirits, but this query has 4 replies and none in nearly a month. I'm getting back into this after some years or dormancy. Some recent photos are here.

Sorry about that, Don. HOn3 is still very much a minority part of the hobby so there aren't a lot modelers around. OTOH, except for gauge, modeling HOn3 isn't much different than regular HO so at least we can help with general layout and scenery questions.

Don there are a few of us around, though like some others I have moved to On30 for the details. Matt

Yeah, that seems to be what happens. Once n3 bites, bigger seems to always follow. HOn3 was a trade off in that for me since I wanted a portable layout. I originally built the layout 20 years ago when in my 40's, so small detailing was as easy as larger. Now that I have uncovered it after retirement, and am adding a few long missing detail items, I find bigger would be nice. Seems I need more layers of glass between my eye and the figure to paint a mustache on an HO guy than I would an O guy. :D

There's not much HOn3 activity on the various MRR boards.

Try the HOn3 Yahoo group. Lots of activity there and dedicated HOn3'ers.

I've always loved HOn3 since I saw Malcolm Furlow's stuff over 20 years ago. There's so much more today due to Blackstone's involvement. I rekindled my RR'ing desire in January of this year and began a 14x10 all HOn3 layout. 90% of the trackwork is laid and I can run trains. Next year will see the start of scenery.

I'd say this past year I've accumulated over $5K in brass locos, rolling stock, structures, trackwork and details. One thing you'll find with HOn3 is there isn't a whole lot of off-the-shelf-ready-to-go items. Turnouts are always a challenge to find so I bit the bullet and went with FastTracks and made my own. You'll find that if you want something specific for HOn3 you may need to go the route of "make it yourself".

It does make things more interesting and unique.

-G-

the club that I am a part of is about 1/2 HoN3. I don't have any H0N3 equipment but various members of the club own blackstone and brass models. The Blackstone models are really cool and run really smooth and don't derail nearly as easy as the brass does. I would recommend getting them over brass anyday, cheaper and more realiable!!

Just finishing up Pat Gibbony's car shop in Como on the C&S. Piece is fully detailed inside and out.

just starting a HOn3...

well I am just staring a micro layout that will tie into my regular ho one, in fact just laid the framework and the foam this weekend... this is my first adventure into this gauge... fining it interesting... modified a layout that was on the small scale page...area is 4 by 3 feet... see the attached design... learning as I go...it will be a small mining area with and interchange track that will let me stage a standard ho loco with cars and then pull it out on to the maintain layout after transfer is done... will have to come up with some type of overhead crane idea to do this... but for now the employees can hand shovel it out...I pay their salaries...HA! the fanged one...garret

had to do some revisions to design...this is close to the final...I still like the first one better and may try to modify it enought to get the radius better...although the yard area is better along with the switching...so there maybe a happy medium....garret

Last edited by a moderator:
A very basic question.

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm an N scaler who is somewhat intrigued by the whole narrow gauge concept. I enjoy looking at what others in model railroading are in to. Does HOn3 run on regular N scale track or is it not quite that simple?

Yes, HOn30 is HO scale models running on N gauge track. There's more information at http://www.hon30.org/gettingstarted.html.

HOn30 models run on track the same gauge as N scale standard gauge, yes, but he was asking about HOn3. HOn3 models run on 10.5mm gauge track, which is entirely different.

HOn30 is so called because it is 1:87.1 scale and approximately 30" gauge. It is commonly used to model 2' gauge prototypes, although it is a bit too wide (6 scale inches, of course). HOn3 is 1:87.1 scale and 3' gauge. A small difference, but substantial enough that the two are certainly not interchangeable.

HOn30 models run on track the same gauge as N scale standard gauge, yes, but he was asking about HOn3. HOn3 models run on 10.5mm gauge track, which is entirely different.

HOn30 is so called because it is 1:87.1 scale and approximately 30" gauge. It is commonly used to model 2' gauge prototypes, although it is a bit too wide (6 scale inches, of course). HOn3 is 1:87.1 scale and 3' gauge. A small difference, but substantial enough that the two are certainly not interchangeable.

Thanks for pointing that distinction out. I didn't even realize there was HOn3 and HOn30.

Back