Hobby Room Update

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

Finally got the Hobby Room (aka the 2nd floor workshop) organized. Still need to work on adding storage shelves and bins in the big closet, build some shelves, hang the TV, and other little touches. However, the next priority is working on better lighting, but having a hard time deciding how to accomplish this task.

-Steven
Photo Etch Station.jpg
Kit Building and Decal Station.jpg
Mac Station1.jpg
Airbrush Station.jpg
Paint Rack.jpg
Diorama Station.jpg
SweetieBears Station.jpg
Room Pano.jpg

WOW! Talk about organization! However, I am a firm believer in the philosophy that a clean desk (or office)...is the sign of a sick mind! :rolleyes: BTW, have you assembled that B-36 kit yet? "There I was at 35,000 feet, six turnin' an' four burnin'!":D

I have not built that one yet, I have one 1/2 built, that I am using has a "test" build. I have a few copies of this kit, which I am saving for my "retirement" mega build. My pops flew them in the Korean War, and I watched him build this kit when I was a kid (a fond memory), along with a B-52, which I also have a few copies of. These kits are a bit of a challenge to build, and I plan on doing them super detailed, so I have to work on my skills.

-Steven

Why are people compelled to show their work benches ? They're all the same but just look different. Or, 'seen one, you've seen em all'..
They all have materials, tools, paint, and glues...Some are messy, some are neat...

Last edited by a moderator:
Steven - Thank you so much for showing your workstation!
I enjoy seeing what others have in the way of a workplace complete such as yours and the way you have paints and supplies organized.
Every now and then I manage to clean off mine and say that I am going to keep it organized which never comes to fruition - as I immediately start to clutter it again.
What scale is the "36"? I had over forty 1/4" mostly WW2 fighters hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom until I left home. Always wanted a 1/4" Connie - I had the Monogram 1/72 in TWA colors which I flew 1:1 for three years during the 60's.

Why are people compelled to show their work stations ? They're all the same but just look different. Or, 'seen one, you've seen em all'..
They all have materials, tools, paint, and glues...Some are messy, some are neat...

IMO workspaces show a personal side of the modelers. There is nothing wrong with that and hopefully when looking at those spaces the Viewer can gather something good or bad from that. I am in a FaceBook group called: Modelers-Workshop Community and it is a great view into modeling spaces. My space picture below was taken for my own review of the power substation I am building for my Paper Mill.
Have a great day.

TomO
D7BC3407-2837-4373-B93C-5D91B69A2161.jpeg

TLOC TomO, thanks for your kind reply. My question was not coming from a negative viewpoint as others believe and have now dissed me for..
Your explanation cleared up a very long held curio...Yours makes perfect sense because you're displaying a particular project's progress rather than focusing on your work bench itself.. This was what I was getting at, and not claiming people shouldn't show pics of anything they're proud of, hobby or not. I guess I should have clarified that I meant workbenches without a current project in view..
Ok, now let the further dissing begin from people I have previously been friendly with on many many other topics...I doesn't care....M, Los Angeles

Why are people compelled to show their work benches ? They're all the same but just look different. Or, 'seen one, you've seen em all'..

To get ideas to improve your workspace. A lot a things I have done to mine, was because of folks sharing pictures of their hobby area. Sometimes one may see a particular tool, or item in the picture, they my not of known about, and will spark a conversation.

-Steven

Very nice work spaces WigWag, but are they always that clean? I believe that a organized workspace, hobby or incoming producing area, usually leads to better results. Its like going to a vehicle repair garage and there's still grease on the floor from 1956 instead of the brightly lighted, clean and organized repair shop, raises the question "Who will provide the best service, the unkept or clean service shop"?

My railroad work space is mess right now. It's an old eight drawer wood desk with the center drawer that pulls out and a piece of plywood increases work space. Some times I spend more time looking for a tool or part than I should be doing!

At work most of the office staff left work at 5:00 PM leaving a clean and uncluttered. It was unspoken rule among the staff to leave a clean desk and work area.

Opposed to MHinLA opinion, I enjoy seeing the workspaces of others to see where they have made their creations, clean and organized or not. Just how many hobby work places are tucked under stair-steps or in my case under a section of the layout?

My few cents worth on this subject.

Greg

Last edited:
TLOC TomO, thanks for your kind reply. My question was not coming from a negative viewpoint as others believe and have now dissed me for..
Your explanation cleared up a very long held curio...Yours makes perfect sense because you're displaying a particular project's progress rather than focusing on your work bench itself.. This was what I was getting at, and not claiming people shouldn't show pics of anything they're proud of, hobby or not. I guess I should have clarified that I meant workbenches without a current project in view..
Ok, now let the further dissing begin from people I have previously been friendly with on many many other topics...I doesn't care....M, Los Angeles

MHinLA

No issues with me regarding your comment. I do think when replying to anything on “social media” one needs to practice restraint. My parents used to tell us, treat people like you want to be treated and all will be well. If folks would follow that advice the whole globe would be better off. However in this age of insults from the top of government down to the kid with a smart phone, nothingis scared.

As previously mentioned I belong to a FB group on workspaces. While started by a model railroader It is not Limited to MMRs. I have seen as others mention here, great ideas that may end up on my bench. I have seen others and think to myself why would you do that! As Greg@mnrr wrote asking how many spaces are under stairs or layout sections. Mine is under the layout.
DF6C3054-CAC2-4BA5-9F7D-4C014C679914.jpeg

For those that have them, Where do you find the green mats with the grid markings? I've probably just not looked in the right place.

For those that have them, Where do you find the green mats with the grid markings? I've probably just not looked in the right place.

Amazon, Michael’s and Hobby Lobby. One thing, not all mats are equal. Some are just for the rotary cutters. If you want a self healing mat for knife blades make sure the mat says it can handle that. Exacto is one I have that is for knife blades. The Olfa one I have is only for the rotary cutters. If I had known that atpurchase I wouldn’t have!

TomO

Amazon, Michael’s and Hobby Lobby. One thing, not all mats are equal. Some are just for the rotary cutters. If you want a self healing mat for knife blades make sure the mat says it can handle that. Exacto is one I have that is for knife blades. The Olfa one I have is only for the rotary cutters. If I had known that atpurchase I wouldn’t have!

TomO

Thank You. I'll have to look in a different area when I next go to Hobby Lobby (I'm still trying to use up a gift card from Christmas).

Back