HO Turn Table from Scratch

Will it turn any slower than what you demonstrated?
I believe that is a bit to fast to really hint the alignment with various side tracks by eyeball and speed control.

Not to mention the lag time between when the command is sent by the cab and when it is received by the motor.

I still need to play a bit with the speed control. I can lower the starting voltage and fiddle with the CV just like a loco the way I have it set up, so there is still some wiggle room I can play with. The add for the motor stated it was a 10 RPM Motor. I think it is quite a bit faster than that.

Arch tower

I also purchased 3-4 of the diamond scale arch towers. They were cast metal affairs at the very reasonable price at the time. Too bad Diamond Scale went out of business.
View attachment 12111
How come we make such mistakes.? I sold off a few of those extra towers I had, but I kept one just in case. I went looking for that spare one the other day when I discovered the one on my 'estate' Diamond Scale turntable' was damaged, and not readily repairable. I could NOT find my spare!! I must have sold that off as well, figuring I didn't need a spare.

Does anyone have a spare??

My Diamond Scale turntable got wet somewhere along the line and warped that 'composite board' they utilized to build there kits. So I figured out a way to make an alternative 'pit' that's pretty straight forward and easy, and likely less money than buying a new one. I think I'll start a new subject thread on it as I believe a number of scratch builders might find it interesting.

In fact I think I will send this idea in as a suggestion to the present owner of Diamond Scale as an alternative to his plaster pit frames.

In the old days we just cut the ends off 2 or 3 tyco gondolas glued them end to end, slap some track on top and called it done. Or if we were really lazy a single flat car or mill gon. But then people would pay you to haul off their tyco stuff.

Back