HO Scale Truck

cjleigh

I'm not sure if this is the right discussion to be posting this thread under, but it seemed the safest of the choices.

Anyway, this is my first attempt at any type of "weathering". I use the term weathering in the general sense in that I attempted to make the truck look dirty and used.

The truck is from a kit, I threw away the box so I don't remember which one, that I picked up in the gift shop at the local railroad museum (of which I am also a board member).

The weathering was done completely with chalk dust and a dull coat.

Any tips or recommendations that I can use on future projects (including my upcoming layout build) would be accepted and appreciated. My next weathering attempt is going to be on a cheapo caboose that I have. I don't want to do anything "expensive" until I feel like I have the knack for it... know what I mean?

That is an old Lindberg kit of a GMC General and dump trailer from the late 70's/early 80's. A very good kit for its time and still a decent model.

I'd say you did a fantastic job on it. I would try to find something resembling headlight lenses and maybe print out some license plates for it as that would complete it totally. But I think you did a great job on it and I'd be proud to have it pull into the truckstop or ply the highways on my layout.

Keep up the great work!

(From another museum Board member, Feather River Rail Society - Western Pacific RR Museum, Portola, CA)

... I would try to find something resembling headlight lenses and maybe print out some license plates for it as that would complete it totally.

For these headlight lenses, look at what MV Products have to offer. Their lenses for loco headlights and marker lights are real hard to beat.

dont forget to add oil stains where ever its parked.... those detroits leaked as much oil as you could put in them!

I think the weathering is great. right down to the soot stains on the trailer from the exhaust stack....

Thanks for the suggestions. It was a fun little experiment, but it's a little too "new" for what my layout is going to be (late 40's early 50's), SO, if anyone wants it, I will gladly pass it along to a layout in need.

Let me know.

Thanks,

C.J.

I'd be proud to give it a new home C.J. In fact, I have some older vehicles to trade if interested. None of them are semi trucks, but I do have some older vehicles that'd fit your era.

If you that interested, I'm sure I can find another one to make, or something else for that matter. I'm not really interested in money, but trading would be kinda cool. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks,

C.J.

I'm interested in anything HO scale. My layout plan is for the 40's - 50's era, but anything is fine. I have a line on a couple more kits that were similar to this last one, if I can get my hands on one or two I will build them up and we can work something out.

For me, I just enjoy building them. Heck I would probably settle for a picture of the truck just sitting on your layout.

Hey CJ, that fine GMC arrived in Stockton, California yesterday around lunch time. I was impressed by the ultra quick trip, but REALLY impressed with the rig itself when I unpacked it. It's sitting here on my desk at the moment and I really like the weathered treatment you gave to it. It looks sharp. It'll be PERFECT for the quarry on my layout. It currently has an old 1930's Jordan Mack dump truck parked there now (with a load in the back) but this GMC will replace it.

I will be rounding up and packing some 40's-50's era freight cars and what few vehicles I have of that era tomorrow and sending them your way.

Thanks again!

Tom

Great, I'm glad you like it. I always try to ship Priority Mail at the very least. I know what it's like when people go the cheap way and it takes a week to get to you and you are just sitting there waiting and waiting... I hate waiting. :p

Enjoy,

C.J.

FYI, I picked up a couple more kits similar to this truck on E-Bay. Both have been partially assembled, but I am working around that.

MHBU6.jpg

Everything in my "paint booth" here is getting a coat of flat grey.

I0NBM.jpg

Whoever started this truck didn't like the strap detail or the chrome finish of the fuel tanks.

vcHzY.jpg

I can't bring back the strap detail, but some paint made the tanks look a little better.

twdhd.jpg

A little paint goes a long way on the wheels. I have never been able to do super detailed painting, I tend to get over excited and my hands start to shake to much to do it, but I think a suggestion or two of paint really helps the detail on wheels. My smudges won't really be noticable when these are weathered anyway.

yxdde.jpg

I'm actually a little disappointed in how the paint sprayed out on these parts. I didn't shake up the can enough I think and it was a little thin. Oh well, a little paint thinner and another coat, along with the weathering, and it will come out okay.

More pictures to come as work continues.

Once again, I am really doing these just for fun since my layout is based years before these trucks would have been built. I picked up one of these kits because ho/ttothemoss wanted one, but the other one is up for grabs when it's done if anyone wants it.

Looks like a good start to me. Don't know if I have any early 40s 50s stuff mostly I do modern era. But I do have the next best thing cash.

Back