HO Scale Survey Crew

modelbob

Administrator
I bought a neat new tool for my track construction today. It's one of those laser levels, but it also doubles as an HO (or any scale) survey tool.

There are lots of them out there, the one I bought cost about $50. http://www.strait-line.com/irwin/consumer/straitline/jhtml/intersect_laser_level.jhtml

What's so neat about this model is that it projects two lines, at 90 degree angles. If you hang it on the wall, it self levels and shows you plumb (straight up and down) and level at the same time.

You can also project the lines horizontally, which is where it comes in handy for us model railroaders. One of the most difficult parts of track construction is making sure your curves line up with your tangents (straight track) a small angle there can cause big problems later.

Here's how this gadget helps solve that problem. You set one of the lines to project down the centerline of your straight track. The 90 degree line now shows you exactly where the center point of your curve should be. Measure in the desired radius, draw in the arc, and you're all set. You can also use it to make sure the connecting track is at a 90 degree angle, which is handy if you're using sectional track.

It's also neat for building benchwork, you can use it to make sure your benchwork is level and the legs are plumb.

I'm not selling these, and I don't get any commision if you click the link above, so there's no hidden agenda here. It's just a nifty tool that I thought you might want to hear about.

Woweeee! What a neat gadget! I want one!! (I sure wish those had been around when I was in the drapery business!)

Yesthey are great, but wern't around when I was building the bench work. Got one later and was tempted to start over, but I don't think I have that much time left. :D
Cheers Willis

My father-in-law got two laser levels for Christmas (both from his wife... she didn't realize they duplicated capabilities). He's looking forward to using them as he starts constructing his layout in the next couple months.

I was fully expecting to read about little plastic figures holding a range pole and standing behind a transit! But this sounds cool, too! Boy, now I've got laser level envy... mine only has one beam. :(

Back