HO Scale Period Correct Dumpsters?

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
According to the google and various web sites the Dempster Dumpster was invented in 1936, and front-loading garbage trucks really took off in the 1950's.

Since I'm modeling 1958, I'd imagine that the industries on my layout probably had dumpsters and there were trash haulers with front-loading trucks around.

But I'm having trouble locating 1958 vintage dumpster and garbage truck models. The modern dumpster is a different design than what was used in the 1950's and the same goes for the trucks.

Anyone ever seen transition era garbage dumpsters and trucks? Or am I going to have to go down a rabbit hole and design and 3D print my own models?

Our city has and had rear dumpers for the dumpsters up until quite recently. They backed up to them and the operator hooked a winch cable and dumped them in.

I was working on weathering dumpsters and was asking for help and discussion on the MRH forums a few weeks ago. One of the sources for information that I used and then was expanded on came from:

Wasteadvantagemag.com

Specially the article was “the ever expanding history of the roll off truck”

I think doing searches on the website may get you closer to what you are looking for.

for images I looked through: www.refusetruckphotography.com

Hope this helps
TomO

Well, I fell down the rabbit hole and started this project. Because I don't have enough projects.

I bought a resin truck model for the chassis, even though I can't find any of the International Harvester or GMC trucks that I really want. It will have to do. I also went to the store and bought some strip styrene, C channel and angle to build the body with.

I printed out a couple of pictures of the Bowles FL4 style truck and am going to try and build that.

I'll probably start a new thread when I start posting photos. Should be an entertaining build anyway.

It looks like its going to be a fun build.
The mid 50's Chevrolet snubnose cabover truck in this Wiking set is pretty close to the cab in your prototype picture. Chevy and GMC would have differed in appearance only in grille detail and name badges.

...and Peter Rings at 87rpm makes a resin 57 Dodge snubnose cabover kit that might work as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. Not sure how to contact 87rpm, but that's okay. I actually found a SketchUp model of a 57 GMC COE that's pretty complete. It's a 3D exterior skin only so I have to figure out how to turn it into a solid model to 3D print, but hey, I needed to learn a new skill anyway. I think I can do the work in Blender.

I might end up buying a resin 3D printer in a bit so it would be fun to be able to print what I really want.

If you didn't see it, I did start a build thread for the truck here: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...uilding-a-transition-era-garbage-truck.32747/

Thanks Jim. Not sure how to contact 87rpm, but that's okay. I actually found a SketchUp model of a 57 GMC COE that's pretty complete. It's a 3D exterior skin only so I have to figure out how to turn it into a solid model to 3D print, but hey, I needed to learn a new skill anyway. I think I can do the work in Blender.

I might end up buying a resin 3D printer in a bit so it would be fun to be able to print what I really want.

If you didn't see it, I did start a build thread for the truck here: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...uilding-a-transition-era-garbage-truck.32747/

Looks like you're already off to a great start. As for contacting Peter Rings at 87rpm, I believe he can be contacted by e-mail through the Flickr photo hosting website. I have contacted him through Facebook in the past. He takes payment through Paypal only. He has some very nice castings available, but, he lives in Berlin, so shipping can take a very long time with the current delays with international shipments.

Back