HO Scale LRV?

LATX

Ok so I picked up my Walthers' reference book for 2011 and I see in the picture section a LRV so it got me thinking when was the LRV's in production and who made them in HO?

thanks in advance

I was curious about this as well, in particular the light rail in Portland, OR. My research discovered no production models of any of the light rail operated here, though there were references of individuals with plans to scratch build some stuff.

Good luck, and please share what you come up with!

There are some small companies like Imperial Hobby Productions, Island Modelworks, etc that will produce resin castings of trolley, subway, LRV shells, but the details on them are all cast on, and they charge an arm and a leg for them, often not including the drive mechanism.

IHC and AHM imported the Boeing Standard Light Rail Vehicle (SLRV) decorated for the Boston MBTA and San Francisco MUNI (the only two agencies to ever own them). They were made by Mehano. Details aren't too bad, and they run ok, but they are a bit slow due to the low speed Mehano motor, and only one of the three trucks are powered. (prototype had two trucks powered). CustomTraxx makes a new floor for them which also has two motors, but costs more than $100 so I'm going to splice together two half sections of the LRVs to have two powered trucks. I have one for MBTA, and one for MUNI.

They have pizza cutter flanges, but will operate without problems on Code 100 (I haven't tried it on Code 83 yet, but it shouldn't have a problem as most Mehano-made locomotives can run on Code 83 without bouncing on the spike heads) Older production models have brass wheels while newer production models have Nickel-Silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i have found two on here from Jeamiah im goin to get them and modified the front and rear pliot to add couplers to them

Hi,

I'm a new member and would like to revive this string, rather than start a new one. I am in the beginning stages of restarting the hobby, and am beginning small with a small, simple Christmas display of some sort.

For part of the display, I just bought an HO LRV of the kind used on the green line up until 2007. Unfortunately it has the San Francisco MUNI coloring. Once it is delivered, and I determine that it operates, my first step is to repaint it in the MBTA Green line colors. I am looking for a brand/color number for a paint that will replicate the color as close as possible.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Merry Christmas all. I finally got to open my LRV and power it up, it runs fine.
Does anyone know if Mehano produced dummy units?

No, they did not. The LRV is very light and underpowered. It can barely pull itself so I doubt it will be able to drag along a dummy.

Merry Christmas all. I finally got to open my LRV and power it up, it runs fine.
Does anyone know if Mehano produced dummy units?

A little surfing and I answer my own question:

Boeing LRV Trolley

SFMR

Powered No.5302-03

Non-Powered No.5302-03D

Now to find one locally that isn't deemed a collector$ item and I'll be on my way.

Back