HO scale Camera?

MoPac_Eagle

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good camera that you can put on a flat car or on a gondola? I am looking for a cheap one for under $50 if possible. I tried the polaroid cube but it came with a bad battery. I would like to run it around a few different people's layouts.
Any help would be appreciated.

I would think an HO scale camera would be kinda hard to operate as the buttons would be microscopic.
I think you are actually refering to a small camera that can fit on a flat car or gondola and fit through tunnels and under signals and bridges.
You did say that you wanted to keep the cost under $50 but you get what you pay for.
I use this Sony AS20 which can be controlled with a smart phone app. I built a simple plastic frame to hold in on a flat car and it fits through tunnels and under signal bridges.
The attached video link shows what it can do.

'
IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6929.JPG

I would think an HO scale camera would be kinda hard to operate as the buttons would be microscopic.
I think you are actually refering to a small camera that can fit on a flat car or gondola and fit through tunnels and under signals and bridges.
You did say that you wanted to keep the cost under $50 but you get what you pay for.
I use this Sony AS20 which can be controlled with a smart phone app. I built a simple plastic frame to hold in on a flat car and it fits through tunnels and under signal bridges.
The attached video link shows what it can do.

'View attachment 121912

View attachment 121913

Sorry, I did mean an actual camera that would fit on an ho scale flatcar. That Sony camera isn't that bad I will have to look into it.

i used a number of different ones, most were on a flatcar .. look up my name [warren gamracy] on youtube for some examples ...
most are no longer available as the shots were done quite a few tears ago ...
on ebay look for 'key fob camera' as those are fairly small and cheap, under 20 bucks

As with most small cams, the apps allow you to control the cam from a smart phone as well as see what the cam is actually looking at.
One thing to be aware of is the lens quality. Some will give ya a very noticeable fish eye perspective.

Check E-Bay or Amazon for a cube camera, Mine was only $20 several years ago and it came with a card and good instructions.

It was called a Sports HD DV camera. The camera is a cube and fits on a flat car.

Greg

Last edited:
on ebay look for 'key fob camera' as those are fairly small and cheap, under 20 bucks

Just a word of waring: I picked up one of those cheap (in every aspect of the word) key fob cameras a few years ago for about $4.95. It produced a very grainy video IF I turned on a whole series of police style search lights around the layout and IF my computer could even read the video file. 😬

I've been tempted to try one of those Cube cameras, but being out 5 bucks makes me hesitant to spend 20, you know? (Good Lord I'm cheap... ;))

Several years ago, I got an old iPhone 4 and an HO scale iCar for it to ride on. At this point, an iPhone 4 should be almost free, and the iCar was about $30. You'd probably need to go to your favorite auction site to find one.
Here's a link to a video of our club layout taken with this rig:

KBO2-I decided not to get one of the key fob cameras because it was an awkward size and shape.

Terry- I have three iPhone 4s I have acquired, but they were too wide to fit on some parts of my layout.

When I get one, I will say which one I got and how much I like it.

KBO2-I decided not to get one of the key fob cameras because it was an awkward size and shape.

Terry- I have three iPhone 4s I have acquired, but they were too wide to fit on some parts of my layout.

When I get one, I will say which one I got and how much I like it.
The car I had angled the phone, with a mirror directing the view forward. It was not much wider than a standard HO boxcar.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

for your reference ... the key fob camera does have angled sides, but the bottom surface, which is the 'glueing' surface, is relatively flat ..
charging the unit does require the usb cable to be hooked up, which either needs the unit dismounted [i used reuseable soft mounting gel] or the unit with the flatcar attached would have to be moved nearer the computer .. same as needed for reading the video file ..

Used a regular camcorder but it wouldn't fit through some tunnel portals.
Camera.jpg

Then picked this one up from Amazon and took the video below around my club layout.

20180809_173022.jpg

This is in 1080 P

Back