HO or N??? Argh..!!!

Father and Son

Sometimes I hate decisions. I've got to make huge decisions at work and I do so rather easily. However, I have a difficult time making small "less important" decisions, like what scale should I go with!!!

Anyone else have these problems?

N or HO? N or HO?

I like the N stuff I have, but am afraid it's a bit small for my son (5yo) to really enjoy with me. Or is it...?

:D You can see my dilemma.

Just ramblin...! ;)

It is a bit more than small for a 5 year old, it is also more delicate. Little guys like to touch, handle and haul things. So here is a relevant question.

Is your son going to be only a spectator, like look and don't touch, or are you expecting and maybe even wanting him to help? If so, O or G would be my choice.

So I think it really depends upon who's train is it going to be, yours or his?

my 2 cents.

Joe

I recently built a layout for my son and daughter and me. With in a month, they lost interest and it is now all me. If you build it for you, either your son will like it or he won't.

Build it the way you want it. Look at the pro's an cons of each. The HO is better for detail work. But you can get 4 times as much railroad in the same space with N. Your 5 year old shouldn't handle either. He will understand boundaries.

I recently built a layout for my son and daughter and me. With in a month, they lost interest and it is now all me. If you build it for you, either your son will like it or he won't.

Build it the way you want it. Look at the pro's an cons of each. The HO is better for detail work. But you can get 4 times as much railroad in the same space with N. Your 5 year old shouldn't handle either. He will understand boundaries.

My grandson and the neighbor boys, all under 3 understand the boundaries at Grandpa Joe's train set, but I like the approach my Dad took with me and my brothers. I think it was a healthy thing to do. The trains in this picture lasted about 2 years before they were total junk. The next set about 5 years later lasted about 10 and did not have a rotating shaft, wheel or bearing surface that had not worn through. If Dad was alive, he tell us it was the best toys for his money that his $2.50 an hour job ever bought.

Scrap0054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly what you mean. I am 60 and can't decide between 3 rail O or HO. I like both, have always had 3 rail, but I can't get doing something different, such as Rio Grande in HO, out of my mind. Decisions, decisions.

I suggest you compare the size of your hands.I think you will notice the little guys hands can hold N scale cars and locos alot better than they can the HO stuff.

Beyond that I would say go with what you want as he can and will readily adapt to which ever scale dad likes.

I suggest you compare the size of your hands.I think you will notice the little guys hands can hold N scale cars and locos alot better than they can the HO stuff.

Beyond that I would say go with what you want as he can and will readily adapt to which ever scale dad likes.

Catt, A little parochial don't you think? Certainly they fit the hands, but there is much to be said for durability. And I'm pretty confident a 5 year old can get a G scale car on the track much easier and a whole lot faster than they will with N or HO. Maybe even to the 'Nth degree' easier. :D

Joe

Alot of it depends on how much room you have for a layout. I had HO as a kid and still love Ho today. When I have kids I am planning on getting a couple of Athearn units for him to beat up. I used to have some athearn units that I beat the hell out of and they kept going. Particularly the F units can take a beating because there are few detail parts to break off. HO scale units are also not so small that kid s won't be able to get them on the track.

All these posts make some very good points to consider. My opinion is since you are both going to use the layout, go with HO if you have the space to build the layout you want. You can buy cheaper locos, rolling stock, and etc. for the little one's enjoyment, but when you have your special moments put your more detailed and expensive equipment on the track. ;)

My dad bought my first train set at 5 years old for a birthday present and it was HO. According to legend my dad and brother had a layout and I had the problem of grabbing the trains. So at first, they made a spur just for me and my gondola. Back and forth all day pure amusement:D Then my father bought me a Fisher Price put-put train. Still showing intrest 3 years later I got my first HO train set. As the years went by we dabbled with both N & HO but stayed true to HO:)

Back