HO , Non American by Americans

G'day all....I am trying to get a modern era BNSF /ATSF transition era HO layout together as many of you would probably know but I have been wondering as an Aussie doing USA rail if the opposite happens in our hobby from time to time. That is US modelers doing other nations rail... I can tell you from first hand experience that non US / Canadian items not least motive power in HO are limited and generally way more expensive for a start...In the past couple of years , here in OZ a company called Wuiske have been producing some nice HO stuff at a more competitive price but the choices are not big. Here's a snippet of their work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AHLrw-79jE if you're interested..
Do any US HO modelers do European , Asian , Australasian , African or even South American layouts ?...Just curious.. Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember who it was but they model India! He posted a video here not long ago. I will be modeling a portion of the D.M.Z.in S Korea.

G'day New Guy...Thanks....India ..wow...scary though...Indian Railways are dangerous in real life..big amount of people die every year..Crazy ocean bridge there as a reference to that...No safety gear by the rail workers...was on a TV show called Extreme Railways..
Here's another video of the 1550 Class QR models done by Wuiske Models in HO here in OZ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTz1dP5zkw....Quite interesting...Cheers Rod...

G'day Rodney!

I have always wanted a model of the Orient Express, the era during the time of the James Bond Movie from "Russia with Love"

I have this truck from the movie corgi from russia with love.jpg

I don't know what era this pictures is
Orient-Express1291470320.jpg

Interesting thread!

An 'Orient Express' would be COOL, there was a BADAZZ steam Loco in the movie Dr Zhivago that would also look sweet going on a layout!

I've seen a few on this forum that bought trains from Aus, AD60 Garrats in particular, but Tony's our best bet to be tempted.

I wish those QR 1550's and rolling stock had been available at the time I came back into MRR'ding. At the time the AMRA club had quite a lot of 12mm track on the club layout, most got removed because of a lack of interest (lack of models), is only now having some replaced on the main layout with more being installed on the second smaller layout. The quality of the models is right up there with the best.

Quite a few guys here model British, German, and Hungarian railways.
There's one fellow at the club who doesn't have a layout but has lots of Japanese trains.

G'day all....I am trying to get a modern era BNSF /ATSF transition era HO layout together as many of you would probably know but I have been wondering as an Aussie doing USA rail if the opposite happens in our hobby from time to time. That is US modelers doing other nations rail... I can tell you from first hand experience that non US / Canadian items not least motive power in HO are limited and generally way more expensive for a start...In the past couple of years , here in OZ a company called Wuiske have been producing some nice HO stuff at a more competitive price but the choices are not big. Here's a snippet of their work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AHLrw-79jE if you're interested..
Do any US HO modelers do European , Asian , Australasian , African or even South American layouts ?...Just curious.. Cheers Rod..

G'day, mate! Question: Do Australian railroads run on the left side, like automobiles? If so, are the engine drivers' controls on the left side of the cab? Interesting fact is that the Chicago & North Western rqn/runs (it's part of the Union Pacific now) on the left. But the controls are on the right side, as on other roads.

I've seen a few on this forum that bought trains from Aus, AD60 Garrats in particular, but Tony's our best bet to be tempted.

Oh yeah, I am tempted actually - very tempted to do an Aussie layout. Reckon what I already have could be adapted with very little trouble :D

Just took a look at the Wuiske site and their models look really nice. It is a pity they are all 6 wheelers and wont run on my 18" curves :(

You'd need 12mm track for the Qld HO gear anyway, get away with 18" no trouble then. When I immigrated (emigrated?) from across the "Ditch", I fully expected the tracks here to be standard gauge seeing the landscape is not all that rugged mostly, but 3'6" was chosen because of cost. The state didn't have a big population 150 years ago (just been celebrating that) and a lot of miles to cover between towns. Peco make 12mm and a German Co. (Tillig) makes dual gauge 12-16.5. In the lower states of course, as you no doubt know, they had standard, broad (5') and narrow 3'6'.

There's still lots of 2' gauge sugar cane tramways here, although we lost our closest one at Nambour, bout an hour 'n' half's drive north, when the sugar mill closed. There's always a layout or 2 at the Brisbane Model Train Show featuring a model one using N scale track. All scratchbuilt critters and cars.

G'day all....Thanks for the amazing responses...Really good to know that many model outside the box so to speak...New Guy I missed your South Korean thing...that's really different..Louis....I love the Orient Express concept..Toot...Tasrail run several ex QR 1550's ...and to be honest I prefer them looks wise to the new ones...I believe the drivers really like them too...I think most if not all kept the same paint scheme as QR with the Tasrail logo.Here's a look at three of them in Hobart in original QR paint scheme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbBu2WmnRg4 and here's the same three going hard also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEF14fOKjJc Tailrider I think all our locos are right hand drive ..Funny , I never really ever thought about that before...Tony...I'd be pretty confident that any good quality model would handle 18" curves.. All my Intermountains , Athearns , BLI's and my one and only Kato do...My cheaper Bachmanns has a few issues by the newer ones go okay Rico...Glad to see there's good representations of European and Japanese ideas..That's great...For me , the US stuff is equally exciting to do..Cheers Rod.

Back