HO Model Train Storage Boxes?

The search feature is your friend! Top right corner of your screen. The two manufacturers still doing this are Axian and A-line. Spring Mills Depot got out of the business, which is too bad as theirs were perfect for passenger trains. This stuff is pricey, mostly because shipping costs are killer. Unfortunately they are necessary, especially if you're like me and have high quality expensive stuff and transport it back & forth to a club.

Last edited:
I started a thread on this topic long ago......in a far far away land back in time when the world was a little bit simpler..... 🤪 😁 🤣

EspeeFan, I did multiple attempts at doing a search for my question. The response was worthless!

In this thread, people where talking about using Pizza Boxes to store trains in. I just had pizza from Dominos and I didn't think that the height of the box was adequate!

Obviously what I had seen and your thread, Alcomotive where not the same, as this was more recent.

Last edited:
EspeeFan, I did multiple attempts at doing a search for my question. The response was worthless!

In this thread, people where talking about using Pizza Boxes to store trains in. I just had pizza from Dominos and I didn't think that the height of the box was adequate!

Obviously what I had seen and your thread, Alcomotive where not the same, as this was more recent.

Really? I did a search on "storage boxes" and got a ton of hits, in chronological order. Pizza boxes? 😂 😂 That's a hoot! I'll have a boxcar with a little leftover tomato sauce and a flatcar with a pepperoni fragment please. Light grease on everything. 🤪 Just kidding! But seriously, I guess if you worked at a Dominoes or a Pizza Hut, or wherever, and had access to unused boxes, and modeled in N or Z scale, that could work. IF you simply stored them at home and never tried to transport them anywhere. If you need to take them from point A to point B without damage, you're really going to want one of the commercial systems designed for that or come up with something equivalent you can build. I've seen several cases guys built that were really nice, but probably cost more than the Axian or A-Line products. Same thing in the slot car hobby which I also dabble in. Guys repurpose cheap plastic tool boxes with compartments and foam, or you can buy a really nice wooden case that holds your cars, controller, tools and spare parts in one nice neat package. But it'll cost you! So do you just want to keep them somewhere when not in use, or do you want to take them for a ride? That will dictate what's best for you.

Now, where is a source from the Foam needed to separate and secure the freight cars and locomotives in the boxes?

Stop by an upholstery shop and ask for scraps or roll ends.
Craft stores might also have sheet foam.

Back