HO Locomotive and Track Radius Question

dank

I am building a new 4x8 layout (Code 83) with radius of 18 and 22 degrees. I want to buy new locomotives with DCC already installed. Must I be concerned with the number of consecutive wheels on the locomotives, i.e., 2-6-4?
Thank you.
Dan

I think you should be concerned, for the 18" anyway. My layour is 15" and 18", thus even with 18" only restriction, there's a very small number of passenger cars I could run for instance. Also some locomotives derail at high speed on the 18", the 6axle IHC C628 comes to mind.

Dan, I agree with Roman. 18" on anything other than on a spur or siding will be problematic for many steamers and long wheel base diesels. If you have to use 18", try to keep it in slow speed areas.

You shouldn't have any problems with 22". I have a several curves that are 22 and can run articulates and 6 axle diesels on it without any problem. Passenger cars look terrible on a small radius, but IHC pass. cars will run on 22" easily (forget Branchline or Walthers).

Dan, what ever you do make sure all track, regardless of the radius, is as near perfect at connections as you can get it. Where it may seem unnecessary and even tedious to do this, it will be well worth it for hours of fun without derail.:)

Dan,

The engines will run, but watch out for the overhang. If you have anything close to the track, it will knock it off. I also agree with the others. 18" on code 83 and you will probably have a lot of derailments.

grumpybob said:
Dan,

The engines will run, but watch out for the overhang. If you have anything close to the track, it will knock it off. I also agree with the others. 18" on code 83 and you will probably have a lot of derailments.
Another good point. I find the IHC 85' pass. cars have that overhang which makes them unoperatable on a piece of track that the power pack is connected to. Thankfully that area is double tracked, so not a big problem.

RexHea said:
Passenger cars look terrible on a small radius, but IHC pass. cars will run on 22" easily (forget Branchline or Walthers).
Yes, I run 4 of those myself, they're easy running on 18" and if you're slow-slow-slow, you might even get away with them on 15". Although that shouldn't be a regular route.

Back