HO Locomotive and Track Radius Question

dank

I am building a new 4x8 layout (Code 83) with radius of 18 and 22 degrees. I want to buy new locomotives with DCC already installed. Must I be concerned with the number of consecutive wheels on the locomotives, i.e., 2-6-4?
Thank you.
Dan

Most of the new loco's will go round a 18" radius curve, I have a BLI class J 4-8-4 which goes round ok, but it doesn't look very good, the outside of the cab hangs way out over the track. 22 is better, but only leaves an inch and a half between track edge and table edge. radius is measured down the centre of the track.

Ken.

Dan,That 4-6-2 should go around a 18" curve...I would stay with short wheel base engines like 2-8-0,2-8-2s and 4-6-2s.Of course there are other short wheel base steamers like 2-6-2s and 4-6-0s.As far as diesels since you have 18" curves I would stay with 4 axle units.Avoid long wheel cars as well.
My thoughts would be to use the 22" curves and not bother with the 18" curves because with the 22" curve you will be able to run longer wheel base engines and cars.

The new Atlas Dash 8 will not negotiate an 18" curve. Minimum is 22" Mine derail and bind (6-wheel trucks) and you will find that the Walthers heavyweight cars will need about 24" (flextrack or Kato)

Back