HO layout pics

lginc

That FM guy
hey all, here are a couple pics off the HO layout. the pics are kinda old, but will post new ones as they come.;) :D the two shots of the aerotrain are from the day i got it, before i had done ANY work to it, was just happy to get it at the time so i took a couple pics. thanks:D -Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean, that is some fine photo shots and I really like your town setup. That is one area I have yet to tackle. Did you give the distant buildings (poster) a mist of blue/gray paint for the look? If so, would you share your method in how you got them to blend so well with the 3d buildings?

THANKS RexHea,:) to answer your question, no, we didnt do anyting to the background. we really just lucked out. the backgrounds are from scenic express. when we put the backgrounds up, they looked so good we almost didnt want to put ANY buidings up(LOL). we only put six buidings up against the background in a 12' space. five of the buildings are from an HO layout dad had made 12-20 years ago when i was in my 20's or 30's and living in florida. he tore the layout down and put them in a box before i moved back to beloit, 5yrs ago. when we built this layout, we thought they fit the background nicely, and saved us some money.;) the theme of this switching layout is suppose to be on the backside of a large midwestern city 1950-69. its purely fiction, "Owen city" CNW division, with visits from Milwaukee road, and i like UP, so every now and then my UP H15-44 shows up as "borrowed" motive power. thats why we didnt use cork roadbed, to try and give it the sunken tracks effect. not finished with the ground foam, needs ALOT more dirt, and the whole thing needs to be dirty(no pun), like it would be on the backside of a big city. -Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, thats it!, this is the last time i post ANY more pics of the HO layout.:eek: well....untill i work on it some more, and get some more film.;) :D -Dean

That brick building looks mighty familiar--like maybe it was once a passenger station.

clubpassenger01.gif

SpaceMouse said:
That brick building looks mighty familiar--like maybe it was once a passenger station.
SpaceMouse, nope, but i sure like the way yours come out, NICE weathering job on it.;) the factory we got is a walthers cornerstone factory, bulit just like the picture of it on the box. i am assumeing your passenger station is also a cornerstone kit, but redone(quite well at that;)). Steve B, thanks. the background pics were bought from scenic express. some guy on the east coast(philly i think) makes them and you can buy them from scenic express.

lginc said:
SpaceMouse, nope, but i sure like the way yours come out, NICE weathering job on it.;) the factory we got is a walthers cornerstone factory, bulit just like the picture of it on the box. i am assumeing your passenger station is also a cornerstone kit, but redone(quite well at that;)). Steve B, thanks. the background pics were bought from scenic express. some guy on the east coast(philly i think) makes them and you can buy them from scenic express.

The passenger station is a modular fro somebody. It could be Walthers. It was built before I lit on the club. I did weather it a mite and change the roofs and cemment decks.

grande man said:
Great pics Dean! Can you tell me about the signals in this pic? Thanks!]
thank you, grandeman. i am so sorry, but i cant tell you who made the signals.:( we have new stuff on the HO layout, but the signals are from one of the previous layouts, could have been bought between 1964-99. dads a packrat, thats great for saving money, horrible for this question. wed,friday night, and all day and half the night on saturdays we work on the layouts(or BS,LOL),i was supposed to go tonite, but my kid was home sick today, so i wont be able to check till fri. on friday night i'll take one off and see if the manufacture is marked on the bottom, no problem because the wires are just hanging down, not hooked up yet.;) i'll let you know what i find.;) :D -Dean

Dean, excellent city shots! I may end up doing the photo backdrop route myself. I see quite a bit of CNW power on there... I guess that means you'll be interested in seeing my digitized 1974-vintage slides of CNW diesels from my Navy days at Great Lakes, IL, when I get them back from the processor in 2 weeks, eh?:D

CSX_road_slug said:
Dean, excellent city shots! I may end up doing the photo backdrop route myself. I see quite a bit of CNW power on there... I guess that means you'll be interested in seeing my digitized 1974-vintage slides of CNW diesels from my Navy days at Great Lakes, IL, when I get them back from the processor in 2 weeks, eh?:D
thank you Ken.:) hmm...would i be interested in seeing 1974-vintage slides of CNW diesels? YOU BET I WOULD!:eek: :D ANYTHING CNW, UP or Milwaukee road.my real love is in first and second generation diesels. sure I'm a HUGE FM nut(certifiable really;)), but i truly love ALL the old diesels. yes i like the new stuff, 90MAC's and all, but my heart is with the old.;) :) two weeks?, cripes, can you get them sooner.:D PLEASE let me know when you post em Ken. THANK YOU, -Dean

Dean I wish I could get them sooner but since they aren't "standard" film, they had to be sent to an out-of-state lab. Some of them also had slight mildew damage - hope they can work around that...

Dean,

Nice work:cool: . Great choice of Railroads too! The very first shot(FM switcher) takes me back to the mid-60's in Madison when the Monona Yard used 'em to bang around the yard. Milwaukee had 'em there as well, I remember the x x x x along the frames. Thanks for sharing, great work and I anticipate the progress photos. Long live the CNW:D :D :D

Johnny

Thanks enjineerbill! might be awhile before i post more pics. after seeing everybodies layouts on here, i see i have ALOT to do. i'm posting a pick of a Milwaukee with xxxx on the side. also since your a CNW fan, i'm putting two pics of something many might not have seen, two of the four "green dips". CNW was thinking of changing their colors at one time, so the painted four of their engines all green, like they were just dipped into a barrel of green paint, hence the name "green dips". one of the green dips was an FM H16-66, two of them were Alco RS3's and the fourth was....cripes, i'm sorry, i'm drawing a blank, just going on memory. DOH,LOL!:p :eek: :D ANYWAYS, Alco #406(below) met its fate when it took on a head on collision with a Milwaukee road freight.:eek: just a couple CNW fun facts.:D thanks, -DEAN

grande man said:
Great pics Dean! Can you tell me about the signals in this pic? Thanks!
grande man, i checked the block signals tonight, they are made by Model power. model power has made one small change to them over the years, now both the signals are in one housing. there is a pic at Walther's of how they are now. Walther's part #490-1676 i hope this helps.:) -Dean

OK, we worked on the layout Saturday, put an office up for the team track, and done a few other things. heres a couple pics to show some of the progress.:D -Dean

Hey Dean,

Thanks for posting the "green-dips". We called the new hires that on the WC. LOL. But seriously folks........ Ah memories, those XXX's on the Milwaukee Rd. are cool. I remember em' well. Never did see a green dip. Thank God someone enforced the rule G law and kept the CNW from green dipping anything else. Whew, that was close!
BTW, who makes the wig-wag in your photos? Is that the plastic/brass kit I've seen in Walthers on-line?
Great looking stuff my friend!! Can't wait to see more.

Johnny

thanks, enjineerbill!:D the answer to your question is, YES:D, it is the same kit you descibed.walthers part#147-5001. Russian, i would be happy to answer that, its a classic metal works, IH. walthers part #221-30157:) -Dean

Back