HO Kato Unitrack-------Is anybody using it?

trainrails

Before I really invest in HO Kato Unitrack. I already bought some to start a layout. I'm asking if anybody is using it. Can you tell me if it's reliable? If you are having any problems? I was planning on using it to run my Athearn Blue Box, Tyco/Mantua Steam & MDC Roundhouse trains that I bought in the 70s--80s. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I use it.

For the most part, it's very good.

Be aware that the various HO turnouts are slightly different, depending on which you use.

There are the #4 powered with the brass frogs. These are "power routing" and you can't change that.

There are the manual #4 turnouts. These can be set to power routing or non-power routing. You can also add power to them with an electric switch motor. Make sure you get the appropriate motor for the switch (left-hand or right-hand).

There are the manual #6 turnouts. Same as the manual #4's, except for the size and length.

There are the powered #6 turnouts. These can also be set for power routing or non power routing. Be aware that the power connectors for these has a tendency to "get loose".

For routing wires under the table, I bought something called:
Airsoft Tamiya Adapter Plug Pin Wire Removal Tool (Type: Small Tamiya)
With this you can "punch out" the pins from the connectors, which makes "slipping the wires" through holes in the table easier.
Works on all the Unitrack connectors.

I also used the Kato switch levers, which work well.

There are those who gripe that Unitrack doesn't look as good as flex track with hand-done ballast.
They're correct, but it still looks pretty good considering it's "snap together track". Kato did a particularly nice job in designing the ends. They -almost- become invisible from a slight distance.

unitrack is superior to all others when it comes to electrical connectivity... as mentioned above, from a curb appeal standpoint, it's cheap looking and not beneficial for a prototypical modeler but if you don't care, go for it. I used it on a 3x6' layout years ago for fun in N scale. Never had an shorting or electrical problems with the layout....

For routing wires under the table, I bought something called:
Airsoft Tamiya Adapter Plug Pin Wire Removal Tool (Type: Small Tamiya)
With this you can "punch out" the pins from the connectors, which makes "slipping the wires" through holes in the table easier.
Works on all the Unitrack connectors.
As a former airsofter, I should point out that if you care about things like electrical resistance, those plugs are notorious for high resistance. Guys building hardcore competitive "high speed" airsoft guns did not use them for this reason (resistance in that case means a delay in response from your bb gun).

I don't know how much of a factor this is for model trains, but I'd imagine it can be a potential flag for DCC if you're making big layouts with Kato track.

I've used the HO track, but not the switches. In my experience, its got very good conductivity. I use the larger curves and then a spacer black to locate a parallel track off if it, to speed things up.

I have used it, for a island layout (5'x12' with 2'x12' Branch) in HO.
PRO - Electrical conductivity is exceptionally good for sectional track. I found that I could not use the #4 switches with larger cars and locomotives. I had no trouble with the #6 although there is a fractional difference in length between powered and non powered #6 switches. I was able to run Full Length passenger cars on Kato track without issue. I like the availability of curves in broader radius such as 31" and 28", using the next largest size curve as an easement. I was able to make the track look more realistic by painting the rails and using washes to tone down the ballast, so it blended in better with the scenery. Also the track is reusable.

CON - The track is of fixed dimension, and lacks the pliability of flex track and standard HO switches such as Micro Engineering, PECO and Atlas. Use of Kato track requires additional scenery work to compensate for top of rail height. For instance use of track inside of structures.
It takes some work to connect Kato Code 83 to other code 83 track, for bridges etc.
It is expensive vs flex and standard switches and crossings.

Depends on what your goals are. I saved mine, because my next layout may be in a smaller space and use of Uni-track is expedient.

Back