HO Interurbans

Tractionman

I wonder why any of the model companies haven't released any interurbans in their model line-ups lately. I know that it would cater to a small group but Like-Like released their NYC subway cars and that, I imagine, is even a smaller niche market than the trolley/interurban modellers. Maybe Walthers, one day will re-release some of their interurban models that they produced 30-40 years ago. I know that this is not likely to happen, but I could go for a couple of CNS&M coaches. What does everyone else think?

Tractionman

I sort of have a 'soft' spot for interurban type cars. The problem is the real ones basically went bust in the depression, and the remaining ones went from 'freight only' in the 50's to non-existant now(except for Iowa Traction).
Folks tend to model things they can see or remember for the most part. Traction was always a small percentage of the total HO scene. Through the years, I have had a Walthers, a Ken Kidder, and several Paul Moore trolleys - but they have been long gone for years. I bought a steeple cab conversion kit from Canonball Car Shops and have an older Bachmann 44t to provide power. The plan is to 'maybe' build a little traction into my current layout, but that is something a long way off.
If a builder were to come out with a plastic interurban , maybe something along the lines of a Niles arch window/wood siding combine would be nice.

Jim

:) I model the present day Iowa Traction. I have three of the MRR Warehouse steeple cabs but I am looking for a North Shore coach for my excursion car. The Suydam examples go for way more than I am willing to pay for a model that will probably have to be repowered to run as good as I would like. If I could find one of the old Walthers models, I could spend a little more repowering it. If you know anybody that has one, please feel free to email me off list.

Thomas Van Horn
Tractionman
t.vanhorn@mchsi.com

Back