HO Hayes Bumper

Tomar and Wiseman Models first come to mind, I think there are others.
Oh, I think Tichy made them also?

Just for discussions sake, could you describe a Hayes bumper or post an image of one?

Iron Horseman,

Meet Mr. Hayes.

1545864249494.png

If that image is not large enough, check out this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-WISEMAN...h=item1ecb0c55a2:g:gYIAAOSwu2VZYm0t:rk:1:pf:0

In my opinion, those from Tomar are the best. I have over 75 on my layout.

Willie,

Thanks! I just may go with the Tomar bumpers, as they come with a short track section and two insulated rail joiners. Solves the question and prevents potential shorts.

Even with the insulated joiners, a short can occur if a freight car with metal wheels bridges the gap. I resolve this by painting the tops of the rails for about 1/4" on either side of the gap with clear fingernail polish. Most trucks are inset enough that this isn't an issue, but there is the occasional car with trucks very close to the end of the car. The bumpers themselves are welded to the track and are made of real rail pieces like the prototype.

Good point about wheels shorting out Willie!
I wonder if cutting the rails back would work as well?
On a related note, I ran into one once and boy does it do its job well! LOL

Last edited:
Even with the insulated joiners, a short can occur if a freight car with metal wheels bridges the gap. I resolve this by painting the tops of the rails for about 1/4" on either side of the gap with clear fingernail polish. Most trucks are inset enough that this isn't an issue, but there is the occasional car with trucks very close to the end of the car. The bumpers themselves are welded to the track and are made of real rail pieces like the prototype.

Willie,

Is the fingernail polish merely a visual warning (if clear polish can be seen, that is) not to proceed or does it actually prevent electrical conductance?

Willie,

Is the fingernail polish merely a visual warning (if clear polish can be seen, that is) not to proceed or does it actually prevent electrical conductance?
It actually prevents electrical conductance. Borrow some from your wife, note how thick it applies. Cutting the rails back as Rico asked, would not work unless they were so far apart that the wheel would drop in without contacting both sides...quite a gap.

Back