History of All Kinds

Opening day, 1975: Frank Robinson is greeted by John Lowenstein after homering in his first at-bat as a major league player-manager
1595635765688.png

Why did so many of historic railroad stations have the tall clock towers? Was the purpose of the towers so that the arriving passengers could see the accurate time from a distance and know when to get ready to depart on their journey? I know the Milwaukee Road station in Milwaukee had a tower.

Greg
Your answer sounds good to me.

Why did so many of historic railroad stations have the tall clock towers? Was the purpose of the towers so that the arriving passengers could see the accurate time from a distance and know when to get ready to depart on their journey? I know the Milwaukee Road station in Milwaukee had a tower.
Before the railroads, each town had their own "time" set by sun dials and the like. The railroads came along and had to have the same time everywhere so they could run trains on a schedule. They developed time zones and "Railroad Standard Time". They synchronized time between all stations via telegraph, so their clocks were always accurate. The clock on stations and towers were as you guessed so anyone using the railroad would know what time it was. Remember in the late 1800s clear into the 1940s if it moved long distance it move by rail so freight schedules were just as important. The side effect was that the towns/cities started synchronizing their time to the railroads. It became a thing. We still use those time zones and "Standard Time" today. We just dropped the "Railroad" part of it officially in 1964.

this and the other ways that railroads changed the United States society and culture is documented in book called "Passage to Union" by Sarah Gordon. Find it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Passage-Union-Railroads-Transformed-1829-1929/dp/1566632188/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=passage+to+union&qid=1598409859&s=books&sr=1-1

Last edited:
This is not the kind of history I prefer to discuss. In the world we are living in today I thought some background was needed.
I have not yet read this book, but it's on my list.

It's notable that Putin believes the collapse of the Soviet Union is the greatest tragedy of the 20th century and is an admirer of Stalin.
Through his lies, misinformation and other nefarious tactics he has many Russians believing the same.

Last edited:
Bob, when I was the draft beer foreman at Memorial Stadium I had the chance to meet and chat with one of the few Brew Masters from Anheuser-Busch. I told him "no offense, but I prefer National beer". He smiled and said "I'll tell you a secret, there is only a few pennies difference per bottle in the cost of brewing any American Lager, they are all good"
How about this beer,...quite famous in my youth at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

And those Baltimore Colts

600967.jpg

Back