High costs

buicfrank

After wanting to get into railroading again, I have noticed that prices are out of sight , especially dcc. At 75 yrs old I guess fun and games are over. I agree that locos with dcc equipped are super, BUT $250.00. $500 just to get started. Then track costs after making a circle with a couple of sidings. Just wanted to rant. Help me figure this out. Frank

Help me figure this out.

Stop looking at exclusively the high-end market. Don't look at Tangent, Rapido, ExactRail, Athearn "Genesis", Atlas "Master" etc.

Look at things like ScaleTrains "Operator" (not Rivet-Counter) and "Kit Classics" series, Accurail, Athearn "Roundhouse", Walthers "TrainLine", Atlas "TrainMan", Bachmann, etc. These are some of the more "economy" lines.

As someone somewhere else said similarly, you can't buy a Ferrari on a Chevrolet budget.

Can these others be converted to dcc? Thanks for the reply. Frrank
Anything brand new will have DCC or be DCC-ready and easily convertible, and basic non-sound decoders can be relatively cheap (<$30).

Older stuff is also convertible, with various amounts of work depending on the age and design of the model. But anything is possible.

After wanting to get into railroading again, I have noticed that prices are out of sight , especially dcc. At 75 yrs old I guess fun and games are over. I agree that locos with dcc equipped are super, BUT $250.00. $500 just to get started. Then track costs after making a circle with a couple of sidings. Just wanted to rant. Help me figure this out. Frank

$250 locomotives are sound-equipped. If dollar numbers are holding you back, don't be looking at sound stuff.

Stick to DCC ready or older models.

If you're just getting started, consider seeking out a local club that has a layout or do round robbin op sessions at members houses. Most will gladly invite ya in. There may be a few who will turn their nose up at ya though cause you aren't seasoned. That's just how some are.

The hobby was never cheap. I read of someone saving his paper delivery money for a year before he could pay a few of that day's dollars for a kit locomotive.

It's either used or new, and these days even the used stuff is going at pandemic prices. No warranty though. At least if you spring for a single $250 locomotive it will be warranted for a full year, and there'll be parts for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Three years ago I got the notion to get back into model railroading after a 35 year hiatus. Bought a Walthers catalog.
Talk about sticker shock. Kept looking through the catalog and started to peruse online forums.
A friend who has a around the room HO layout in his basement showed me different aspects of his layout and we
began to sketching track plans. I decided I had enough space to support a 5 ft x 10 ft layout which led to a lot of
pencil sketches on graph paper. I kept doodling and trying different changes to the track plan as time passed.

Found a new Bachmann GP40 non dcc locomotive at a tag sale for $25. That was the catalyst for my next step.
Took my track plan to the local hobby shop (which has since closed due to retirement). The owner spent a lot of
time with me and I bought a bunch of Atlas code 100 flex track and Atlas Custom Line turnouts. He graciously
offered 10% discount on track while I was working on the track work. Work progressed and a couple times I
traded in unopened turnouts for turnouts with a different configuration.

I had been attending the Springfield, MA train show for years so I knew what to expect when I went with my shopping
list. Picked up new and used freight cars, accessories, and some structures. Decided to go DCC and bought a Athearn
Genesis SD70 with sound and NCE PowerCab from Tony's trains. Wanted to buy the loco and throttle from the same
vendor if I had an issue--didn't know anyone local who was running DCC. My friend gave me 10 structures
that he was not using. As the layout progressed, some of the structures did not fit it. I started modifying them to serve
different purposes. Example: A ranch house had its roof removed and a sloping roof added which became a supply
building.

Bought a dc GP38-2 from Trainworld for $39. Converted the GP-40 and GP-38-2 to DCC with a couple of
DCC decoders from Yankee Dabbler for $19 each. They had been running with a home made dc throttle.

The layout is a project in progress and I purchase things as the budget allows. I challenge myself to make
things out of stuff laying around the house.

In Retrospect:
No qualms about spending the money on new track & turnouts, a new DCC locomotive, and DCC throttle.
Other items were more budget friendly.

Take the time to ensure the track work is the best you can make it.

The forums are a great resource for ideas and lessons learned from others.

Nothing wrong with good old DC as long as you are not looking to run multiple locos on the same track at the same time. You can even double head engines if they perform somewhat similar.

It's either used or new, and these days even the used stuff is going at pandemic prices. No warranty thought. At least if you spring for a single $250 locomotive it will be warranted for a full year, and there'll be parts for the foreseeable future.
I just checked a couple of new Atlas and Kato locomotives, and the warranty paperwork specifies 60 or 90 day warranty on new items.

I am on a tight budget myself, but buying used has helped immensely…. Almost new atlas gold loco for $90, almost 300 feet of atlas flex track for under $200, dynamis ez DCC power for a little over $100 (buying the expansion parts needed will be fairly expensive looks like though), new track spikes and rail connectors for a few bucks, turnouts have proven the most expensive as expected, but still not terrible at over 20 turnouts for about $250…. All this since August, so while I am spending at least I am not really straining the budget, can do that after I get up and running lol

Now, if you are wanting "inexpensive" trains, you can look at stuff that's been made since around 2000. Most of the engines are at least DCC ready, and you may be able to snag a bargain if you don't mind one in an oddball railroad name. I ended up with some New England stuff for about 2/3 what the popular railroads were going for. They were the same engines under the paint.

Some of the best locos to buy used are the Athearn "Ready to Roll" DC/DCC Quick Plug Equipped HO models from, as mentioned by Terry, since 2000. Easy to fit non sound DCC decoders into. Good detail and with wire grabs etc factory fitted.
e.g. (note the yellow star)
1638532909844.png

I'm exclusively DC and have bought a ton of stuff used. I do have some new stuff, but not a ton.

twforeman: Thanks for that link. I never knew about it before.

Back