High costs

You can go even deeper in saving money when ya buy an Athearn Blue Box loco, remotor it then wire it with a decoder. Buy the NS wheels from NWSL, clean up the electrical path, add some detail and ya have a really nice loco.

I just checked a couple of new Atlas and Kato locomotives, and the warranty paperwork specifies 60 or 90 day warranty on new items.
Yikes! That's different from BLI's warranty, and MTH's when they were a thing. Well, at least it's something. Doesn't exist for used items unless the seller states as much.

After wanting to get into railroading again, I have noticed that prices are out of sight , especially dcc. At 75 yrs old I guess fun and games are over. I agree that locos with dcc equipped are super, BUT $250.00. $500 just to get started. Then track costs after making a circle with a couple of sidings. Just wanted to rant. Help me figure this out. Frank
Hi Frank, I returned to MRR after a 20 year absence and found the same issue. Don't get me wrong the products available at the higher end price point are exceptional. I do run a DCC layout now but I intially built a DC layout.

In order for me to get immediate satisfaction at my price point was to buy cheap (good quality DCC ready locos). I would search the bargain bins, sales, ebay everywhere. A lot of those who contributed to your post have mentioned a lot of the brands and they are all good quality.

Once I laid my track and started operating trains, I started to convert each loco to DCC when I could afford to.

I did it this way for two reasons, it significantly reduced up front cost and DCC ready means that you literally just need to plug in your decoder and wire in speakers in most cases. I found this approach less financially overwhelming. Bear in mind it can more costly over the longer period.

To be honest the main reason for converting to DCC was the sound option. I was content with DC otherwise. Given that sound was my main concern I did the following to get immediate enjoyment at budget.

I researched videos online of the loco I wanted run. I recorded of the sound file of the specific loco to mp3. I edited the sound so I could loop the mp3 when the loco is idling and created another sound file when in operation. This is easier than it sounds. It's an old school method but it certainly helps while you budget for the more costly DCC fitted locos.

If that is something that you may be interests in I will be more than happy to show you my method of creating sound files. it's actually very easy and fun.

Alternatively you can download a free app from your mobile app store. The link I sent is from Amazon who charge? No need to pay for this app.

The app gives you a few sound options at a touch of a button. Quite effective.
This helped creat the railway ambiance I was looking for whilst I began the slow process of converting to DCC.

Good luck and enjoy. Remember in model railroading it's the journey not the destination that's the most satisfying😊

That would be a good app for those who only want the generic sound of a horn, bell or chuff. Some really prefer the authentic sound of a specific loco, i.e. the 9000 series Union Pacific locomotive with the third cylinder sound mixed in or a late P42 with passenger locomotive horn.

I had a lot of ‘60s version Rivarossi steamers that I wanted to run more efficiently but putting a decoder in each one was cost prohibitive. I purchased 1 BlueRail dcc card and one soundtrack tsunami decoder and connected them to the track. This has allowed me to run them with sound through speakers at my console, one at a time using my iPhone. I have since gone dcc but by using a double pole double throw switch can run both, just not at the same time. Eventually, I will install decoders in all of the Rivarossi’s and phase out the BlueRail side, but for now it works quite nicely. I can explain more if needed.

You can find engines with dcc and no sound around $100 on average. I would start with a dcc layout the wiring is much easier than dc If your going to run more than one train and once you get going you probably will. The suggestion of checking out local clubs is a great idea, if you can't find one go to a train show and talk to the guys that have layouts there.

Just one other thought, Bachmann makes a line of ez app locos, mostly diesel. I have four of them which I have picked up from TrainWorld, fleebay, and one from my local shop. These can be found for around $100 and run off either dc or dcc You can run multiple trains with these and also consist if using an iPhone. Not as many programming options with these and the sound is generic (not prototypical) and plays through your phone or a Bluetooth speaker.

I run these right along side of the dcc locos with good results.

Model railroading makes you become a bargain hunter.....you become very very savvy and patient. It took me 7 years to get a particular locomotive at the right price and moment...lol that's patience. Although I have been in the hobby 35 plus years off and on. Research and patience is your best bet. Look at and for different avenues of places to purchase.....

Alcomotive and All - eBay is still viable somewhat. Sort the auction of your choice to 'newly listed' as sometimes the originator does not know what stuff is worth and you can find deals if 'buy it now'. I usually do this sort of stuff about every Monday to get the weekend warriors. I too wait for stuff and have waited quite a while to get what I want.

Back