Hi, I'm new to the world of Model Railroads

Hi, I'm new to the world of Model Railroads. Trains fascinate me - a few years ago, when I lived in Kansas, I used to hop on the coal train that ran past to get a ride to town (and then walk back home), and i've wanted to make a model of that old place for years now.

Anyway - I'm new to Model Railroads, and while I think its going to be a while before I start my own (lack of space in the appartment - i'll have to wait until i have a house), I intend to be a regular lurker, watching what everyone else is doing, and seeing what I can learn :)

Dirty_Leg_REMF_Pogue said:
Hi, I'm new to the world of Model Railroads. Trains fascinate me - a few years ago, when I lived in Kansas, I used to hop on the coal train that ran past to get a ride to town (and then walk back home), and i've wanted to make a model of that old place for years now.

Anyway - I'm new to Model Railroads, and while I think its going to be a while before I start my own (lack of space in the appartment - i'll have to wait until i have a house), I intend to be a regular lurker, watching what everyone else is doing, and seeing what I can learn :)

Well, welcome to the forum. You've got a potentially very rewarding journey ahead of you. Have fun with it. Research the prototype, learn about the models, construction, electronics, etc of a model railroad and roll with the punches. I'd suggest that you decide on a theme for your future RR and concentrate on collecting suitable equipment for it.

There's a lot of great info archived here and folks will gladly help you when they can. Ask questions and enjoy talking some trains with us. We're glad you're here.:)

ETA a link to the forum's new bookstore.http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/shop/shop.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good, and welcome to Model RR'ing! You've run across a wealth of information here. We'll all be more then welcome to help you out when you start a project!

EDIT Also, of note, I live in an apartment here, and I'm building "modules", at 3'x2' for now, and I'll be able to install them into my furture layout. It's a good concept, you can even build your whole layout this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
D_L_R_P welcome aboard, ask any questions you like even if you feel they are a bit basic,,, we were all beginers at one time, me, it was back in 2000 and i'v never looked back since

Pleased to meetcha!
I'm sure you'll like it here, this is a friendly crowd. And as Steve was saying above, any questions you got, go ahead and ask them as we've all been there before!

Back