Hi from Middle England

hunslet040

Hi all,
Just found and joined the forum.
Retired about a year ago so have time now to build a long awaited layout.
I model Union Pacific in the 50's even though I live in the centre of England in north Warwickshire.
I have an H0 layout based on Dale Junction, Wyoming which is about 24ft x 8ft and is located in my garage and has to fold to fit round a car.
The layout is DCC equipped and I use BLI, Genesis and Proto equipment with examples of Steam, Diesel and Turbine.
I hope that I can contribute to the forum even though I obviously have limited experience of US railroading (8 visits in conjuction with my former work) but have a collection of books and videos to fall back on.
I also hope that I can ask questions to improve my layout and operating practice.
Best regards, Colin.

Hi colin, and welcome!
We're always hungry for layout pictures so post away!
There might even be the odd UP fan lurking around here somewhere. (just maybe) ;)

Welcome, Colin. Yup, we love pix. We love sharing ideas and experiences. So, if ya got 'em, post 'em.

-Crandell

There might even be the odd UP fan lurking around here somewhere. (just maybe) ;)

Hey, I'm not THAT odd!!!
A really good book, if you can find a copy, is "High Iron to North Platte" by Arthur Svenstad. It covers the UP operation around North Platte, Nebraska during the 40's and 50's. It is loaded with excellent photographs. It is out of print, but if you can find a copy it is well worth it.
UP trivia: While many railroads utilized 0-8-0 switch engines, UP only ever had one. And they had it, quite literally, by accident. It seems that one of their 2-8-0 Consolidation's was involved it an accident, and the front pilot was wrecked. Rather than junk an otherwise good engine, UP simply removed the pilot truck, and gained the only 0-8-0 they ever had. It was renumbered 4500.
And now you know.......... the rest of the story.

Back