hi from Europe

mara plutoni

Hi to every modeler. I'm from Holland, Europe. I like to build (rolling stock) but we don't have any lay out yet.
I don't have any favourite era or route. I'd like to scratchbuild, not only becourse its a little harder to get the new models from the big companies, but its fun.
I build wood and from styrene. Brass is great but I have bad memories building a private little house (outside toilet building). Putting it together but finding other parts falling apart is not my thing. 3d printing is great for the desired parts, but is more a computer thing (constructing, drawing). So I do some of the PCdrawing but only as a template for the building, not to print.
At the moment I try to modify an earlier started project. A wooden boxcar (40ft) with murphy steel roof. It was constructed with a cardboard roof. I want to replace that with a styrene one.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Lots of folks here from a large range of levels.....beginners to long time modelers that are top notch!

Glad to have ya!

What scale do you model?

Hi, welcome to the forum, as Alco say's, lot of experienced modellers here, and inexperienced (me) I've learned a lot from the members here, anything you want to know, or not sure of, just ask.

Hi to every modeler. I'm from Holland, Europe. I like to build (rolling stock) but we don't have any lay out yet.
I don't have any favourite era or route. I'd like to scratchbuild, not only becourse its a little harder to get the new models from the big companies, but its fun.
I build wood and from styrene. Brass is great but I have bad memories building a private little house (outside toilet building). Putting it together but finding other parts falling apart is not my thing. 3d printing is great for the desired parts, but is more a computer thing (constructing, drawing). So I do some of the PCdrawing but only as a template for the building, not to print.
At the moment I try to modify an earlier started project. A wooden boxcar (40ft) with murphy steel roof. It was constructed with a cardboard roof. I want to replace that with a styrene one.
As they say “WELCOME TO AMERICA”
Good luck and enjoyment with your model building.

Mara - Welcome aboard the friendliest model railroad forum in the universe. As Tom O posted, we love pictures here. Over in the Coffee Shop, we also post landscape pictures and pictures from Holland would certainly be welcome.

Pictures from Holland!!! Pff you want a train as well I suppose? I will try to get you a dutch train tomorrow. I live very close to a crossing, but we don't have nice freight trains blocking the crossing for 10 minutes or longer. The scenery is as boring as the type of loco's...do you hear somebody that is fond of RS3's and Gp's? Yes you do.

I draw the roof with the 1:1 scheme of the panels. The roofwalk will be wood as well as the 2 entrances from the ladders to the roofwalk. Supportrail will be brass. The real construction is hard to copy so the roof is one piece of styrene with ribs suggesting the different panels. The car will be far from perfect, even the lenght is not correct. But as long as I don't go abroad, nobody will notice.

Attachments

• roof SP B-50-14.jpg
    roof SP B-50-14.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 68
I promised you a photo. Here it is. Passengertrain near my house. Not very exciting and the landscape is rather boring. Its an intercity, not stopping at all stations called ICM

Attachments

• DSC02842 (2).JPG
    DSC02842 (2).JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 69
I promised you a photo. Here it is. Passengertrain near my house. Not very exciting and the landscape is rather boring. Its an intercity, not stopping at all stations called ICM
WOW nice pic, welcome aboard!

My ancestry is Dutch, however it goes way back with a few more recent connections, great grandfather Noreen made wooden shoes I still have a pair (they fit) and Dad had all the tools, they went to the Historical society.

Also, the town I live in steeps in history from your country, named Groningen due to the first settlers, which arrived by the way on the railroad (Lake Superior and Mississippi) later a couple other names until finally the Northern Pacific/BNSF finally shut the line down, now is a hiking trail.

hope to see pics of your projects, Dave LASM

I used to live in Groningen (town) and was born there (hospital). My footprints as a little girl are even more rural in a small town called Winschoten, close to the railway line (what else) to Germany. I love old railway tracks, specially in Belgium and Great Britain.
We even did the Othello tunnels in Hope BC (from the Rambo movie). All the way from town walking the former track to the tunnels. Only a short distance but great! We traveled by rail so going around was not that easy. Even in the bigger cities its not that easy. In Vancouver no buses due to a big strike that lasted several weeks. But we were very lucky to encounter a railway fan. They (he and 2 rr friends) showed us around. That was amazing.

Back