Hi-Cube Hobbies

Popping here for a quick update, things are basically ready to roll, once we get some funding figured out on our end for the resin masters. Not using Shapeways is a bit more expensive, as it turns out. I've also gone ahead and modified the cab windows to be a later production cab rather than the early version as it had originally been. Seeing as this style will continue to be used on further rebuilds, this seemed like the right course of action, and didn't justify doubling the cost of the masters to produce both versions. I hope this doesn't keep anyone up at night...

An interesting tidbit I learned recently from the manufacturer that produces the "frosted ultra detail" material for Shapeways: After a few years the material will disintigrate... So, I think resin is the right call.

I'm not completely sure yet what these will cost per cab, but I will be posting hopefully soon with details on them. The kits will include a resin cab, a resin nose/battery boxes, a resin numberboard housing, and two resin stepwell guards. To complete the model, you'll need a Cannon window set(avoiding the need to use a particular manufacturer's SD40-2), a Detail Associates sand filler and light housing, a handful of 18" drop grabs (use your favorite), and either some small pieces of sheet styrene or etched brass steps/walkway tread if you so desire.

I'd love to see that GM6C myself, believe me, it's been discussed! Not sure what exactly will be produced after these cabs, but keep your eyes peeled!

are the front windows that are angled on the admiral cab the same exact size as windows found on regular SD40-2's?

The main 3D guy is slightly busy finishing out his school here in the next couple of days but he should have some time while he is on the Capitol Limited and Empire Builder on his way to Seattle. Once he is here the beatings will resume until the cab is finished.

Someone on a NS facebook page has both cabs available thru shapeways. They look alright, but i'de like to see a resin cab first.

I think i would prefer a resin one also only because people have said that the 3d material breaks down over time. I just wish the guy from the model railroad club in MA would release the resin kits he's made.

Hi guys,
I have to apologize for the lack of updates on this project. Real life has reared its ugly head, this time financially. I'm a college student, so I'm perpetually broke, and my associate Nathan is currently unemployed. I hate to do it, but we'll have to place this on hold until one of us finds a way to fund the project. Preorders are an option, but we would rather not do that on a first release. I will keep you updated as this eventually progresses. We WILL finish these, it's just gotta wait for the moment.

As a further note, I forget if I mentioned it yet, but the cab itself is going to be a flat kit, with cast resin numberboard assembly, nose, and step guards. To finish the cab will require a Cannon window set, one each DA and DW part, and some grab irons, steps, windshield wipers, and sunshades of your choice.

Adam

Back