Hi-Cube Hobbies

Iannacole, from what i've seen these 3-d printers get very very detailed. Apparently people have created an operating handgun using these printers.

And $25 is well worth something this custom and not made by anyone. I'de get one eventually.

Iannacole, from what i've seen these 3-d printers get very very detailed. Apparently people have created an operating handgun using these printers.

And $25 is well worth something this custom and not made by anyone. I'de get one eventually.

An operating hand gun doesn't have the intricate details of a 1:87.1 scale train locomotive. I'm excited and skeptical at the same time.

An operating hand gun doesn't have the intricate details of a 1:87.1 scale train locomotive. I'm excited and skeptical at the same time.

Agreed, but I've also seen posts were folks were denied production of their item (if I recall one of the items was a Shay cab) because there wasn't enough material to maintain structural integrity.

Cab looks great to bad I don't model NS. Tha cab I'm wanting is the GE BQ cab in both N and HO.:)

Agreed, but I've also seen posts were folks were denied production of their item (if I recall one of the items was a Shay cab) because there wasn't enough material to maintain structural integrity.

This is easily fixed, which is why it hasnt been released into the wild yet. We have ordered the first cab from Shapeways and if there are and problems, we will correct them. When/if anybody reading this thread orders a cab, they will get a cab with zero hassle.

Cab looks great to bad I don't model NS. Tha cab I'm wanting is the GE BQ cab in both N and HO.:)

I'm thinking about that and some other Seaboard stuff. Why, I don't know, because I don't personally need it, but I guess I just think it's cool.

Nathan and I have already planned our next project we'll be doing as soon as these cabs are ready to roll, and it should have pretty widespread use.

The B23-7 was the only GE loco to get the BQ cab,but it was an option across the entire GE loco line.

I do model today but my railroad is totally freelanced and I would like some BQ cabs in both HO and N scale.:D

Bachmann made the BQ23-7 once. Getting that dang cab to fit on an Atlas loco is a pain! (requires a lot of putty and filler strips)

It's here!

064d75c7cae3b422b96c8f57402e7c19.jpg

1de5eb3edf64cfa1d9fd96563f65ded7.jpg

Unfortunately, I have some changes to make before production starts. That and doing the Athearn version still. Don't worry, we'll get there!

It's here!

064d75c7cae3b422b96c8f57402e7c19.jpg

1de5eb3edf64cfa1d9fd96563f65ded7.jpg

Unfortunately, I have some changes to make before production starts. That and doing the Athearn version still. Don't worry, we'll get there!

can you get some macro/close up shots? People on another message board are claiming the final product will be way to rough to even use.

I can do that, but first I'm working with shapeways to see what can be done about quality. I'm disappointed with most of the quality here, but the number board/headlight housing piece came out great, so I'm very curious as to why the rest didn't. There are a few options to try next for dealing with it. I'm definitely going to be making sure the final product is 100% worth the money before any of them are sold.

So here's the new plan, because this seems to be the best way to keep things from suffering in the quality department:

We are going to print a cab from another source to use as a master, and have them cast in resin. We will be taking preorders when the time comes, details will follow then. I anticipate shipping resin cabs by the first of the year at most.

Probably all future HCH projects will be done this way, with a printed master then resin casting. If you have any experience with resin casting and are interested in helping us get this going once we have a master, please PM me so that we can discuss an arrangement. I'd do it myself, but driving a semi-truck 6 days a week 10 hours a day does not leave a lot of time for much of anything else. (this is why I'm just the money-man, lol). Same with Adam over there, he's good at the modelling part but he's also in college. This is very much a labor of love in our spare time, so please, if you have any know-how or time and want to contribute, please contact me.

You know that I've got a few BQ23-7's kicking around the BB&G, one tucked behind Fred's Locomotive Services... and one still at the local Burger King we can use for reference... (I've even got an Atlas B23-7 we can use for fitting...)

And my personal preferences for oddball cabs aside... it appears there is a demand for BQ cabs...

(I myself can see several sitting on dunnage behind the shops...)

Back