Hi All, I'm a new member

trainrails

Hi All, I just joined the group & I just want to thank you for letting me join. My name is Sal & I'm 73 years old. I have HO trains & as soon as I clean out & make room in my workshop room I will be starting a 4x8 HO layout because that's all I have room for. I have small collection of Athearn BB, Tyco/Mantua, & MDC Roundhouse from 1970's--80's & would like to use them. I bought some HO Kato Unitrack a few months ago. I don't think I will be converting to DCC. If anyone can help me when I start it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome! Feel free to ask questions. You'll probably get more advice then you need! ;) Do the Tyco/Mantua pieces include any steam locomotives? They can be the best, especially if you do a little tweaking, but good anyway. Any particular railroad you like? Freelance is also fine!
Stay well and safe!
Hi-ball!

Hey welcome Sal....nice that you joined the forum! Be prepared to be overwhelmed with information..Ha Ha
Certainly DC is going to keep things simpler. I myself converted to DCC because I like the options that it offers.
I see trailrider threw the Hi-ball at ya. That is a good thing! 👍 Full speed ahead!
(Do a google search on railroad hiball signal)

Welcome! Feel free to ask questions. You'll probably get more advice then you need! ;) Do the Tyco/Mantua pieces include any steam locomotives? They can be the best, especially if you do a little tweaking, but good anyway. Any particular railroad you like? Freelance is also fine!
Stay well and safe!
Hi-ball!
Hi, Thanks for the welcome. I had a HO layout that I started about 1981 & took it down about 1987. It had only trackwork done. No real scenery done on it. I used the room for storage & tools when I took down the layout. Now I want to clean out part of the room & put up a 4x8 layout because that's all I have room for. My Tyco collection is steam. I have a Pacific & a Mikado that were built from kits. They both have Cary Boilers with detail parts. They are painted & lettered for ATSF.

Welcome to our forum Sal. If you haven't done so already, change all of your couplers to Kadee #146 or #156. They are today's equivalent to the old KD #5's. If you're stuck with a 4' x 8', I'd go with the #146 as they seem to be more reliable on those 22" radius curves. There's nothing wrong with DC, I use it on my 640 sq. ft. double-decker. But I am a lone operator and cannot pay attention to two trains at once.

Stay well and safe!
Hi-ball!
Hi, Thanks for the welcome. I have a Tyco Pacific & Mikado that I built & painted & lettered for ATSF from kits. They have Cary Boilers & Cary detail parts. Santa Fe is my railroad rolling stock. From what I remember the Tyco engine's didn't run that great. I probably will try to remotor them.
Sal

Hey Sal,
First of all welcome to the forum! May I suggest an excellent read in my opinion (Layout Vision dot com) version of 4x8 considerations, it might help you. Also read all the forums here, so many great ideas !
ECAE8FD5-0997-46BD-8CF4-F3D945675648.png

Hi All, I just joined the group & I just want to thank you for letting me join. My name is Sal & I'm 73 years old. I have HO trains & as soon as I clean out & make room in my workshop room I will be starting a 4x8 HO layout because that's all I have room for. I have small collection of Athearn BB, Tyco/Mantua, & MDC Roundhouse from 1970's--80's & would like to use them. I bought some HO Kato Unitrack a few months ago. I don't think I will be converting to DCC. If anyone can help me when I start it would be appreciated.
Seems like we are on similar paths, trainrails. A bunch of older gear, and some space.

Good luck, and I'll be watching your progress.

I have small collection of Athearn BB, Tyco/Mantua, & MDC Roundhouse from 1970's--80's & would like to use them. I bought some HO Kato Unitrack a few months ago.
Other than the Tyco that is pretty reliable stuff so using it should work well. It could be rather than remotoring it just needs a tune up. Is it steam or diesel? Could just be a matter of making certain gears aren't jamming/binding, wheels aren't on too tight, and if steam that the drivers are properly quartered (the side rods are properly aligned side to side).

Other than the Tyco that is pretty reliable stuff so using it should work well. It could be rather than remotoring it just needs a tune up. Is it steam or diesel? Could just be a matter of making certain gears aren't jamming/binding, wheels aren't on too tight, and if steam that the drivers are properly quartered (the side rods are properly aligned side to side).
Hi,
I have a Tyco Pacific & Mikado with Cary Boilers with Cary detail parts that I built sometime in the 70's--80's. From what I can remember they ran better in one direction than the other. For that reason I didn't run them. They are lettered for ATSF. That's my road name. Santa Fe all the way. I bought some Kato Unitrack to use for my layout. I hope my stuff will run OK on it. I'm hoping someone in the forum that uses HO Kato track could let me know how it is.

I bought some HO Kato Unitrack a few months ago.
I think Texas Hobo has Kato Unitrack . If you look in the Coffee Shop /Running Bear thread he posts some pics from time to time . He usually shows up about once a day. Feel free to go in there and annoy him with many questions.

Back