Hi All from the UK

RickA54

Hi to everyone. My wife and I are approaching our retirement and have found a really good hobby, model railways. We are mixing OO/HO and N scales. All of our N Scale trains and wagons are American, we live in the UK. We are really new at this "game" and have little relevant skills but are quite determined to make as much as we can from scratch. Looks like we will spend a lot of time reading and prototyping!

Last edited:
Hi Rick and welcome aboard!
I just saw your helix post, you’re off to a good start.
Update often and make sure to add pics!

Hi to everyone. My wife and I are approaching our retirement and have found a really good hobby, model railways. We are mixing OO/HO and N scales. All of our N Scale trains and wagons are American, we live in the UK. We are really new at this "game" and have little relevant skills but are quite determined to make as much as we can from scratch. Looks like we will spend a lot of time reading and prototyping!

Welcome aboard! Glad to have ya! I have a sister that lives in UK. She lives just outside of Bristol. She has dual citizenship and has been there for 25 plus years. She comes back here every year in the summer months sometimes over the Christmas holidays.

Anyhow glad ya found us we have a great crew here!

Welcome aboard, another Brit here - up in the Yorkshire region :) enjoy the modelling.
Richie

Welcome, Rick (and wife)!

Two fun threads to have a nose about with:

1. The Pinnacle Creek mega scenery thread by "Master of Dirt and Rocks" HO/Explorer Jim - He started it way back in 2011, and built six??? layouts, documenting each. Although his layouts are HO/On3, he sprinkles in a healthy dose of pics from his N and Z days. Plan a week or so to read all of his bits and bobs.

2. The ever-changing Running Bear's coffee shop. It's a bit of what's the weather in your neck of the woods, what have you been up to, general chin wag of thread (a new one each month). Just hit the like on any posts you enjoyed. It's a fun bunch full of ailments and bacon and coffee.

If you would, please post lots of British Prototype photos for us. I'm a bit of an Anglophile and am scenicking up part of my layout to be a quaint Welsh/Midlands village (even though the line is in Washington State in the US). Love to see what your neck of Britain looks like.

2. The ever-changing Running Bear's coffee shop. It's a bit of what's the weather in your neck of the woods, what have you been up to, general chin wag of thread (a new one each month). Just hit the like on any posts you enjoyed. It's a fun bunch full of ailments and bacon and coffee.

I so want to say no spam or Vikings in the Coffee shop either.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

My twisted sense of humor is going to get me in trouble again.

Welcome again Rick. Troy is spot on about the coffee shop.

If you would, please post lots of British Prototype photos for us. I'm a bit of an Anglophile and am scenicking up part of my layout to be a quaint Welsh/Midlands village (even though the line is in Washington State in the US). Love to see what your neck of Britain looks like.

I’ll have to start posting the odd pic then .... 127,000 in my collection, well over 380,000 images if I include the two other collections that were left to me dating back to 1951! If any one needs any help with the British scene, feel free to shout!

cheers
Richie

Welcome!!! I stayed in Hampstead Heath for a little while. I look forward to seeing your progress!!

Back