Hey EngineerJohnny, these are for you! (...and lginc too)

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Here are a few vintage C&NW slides I shot in March 1974, when I was stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. But don't get your expectations too high - these sat in my stepmother's basement for 30+ years and are showing the ravages of heat, cold and mildew. And I was only 19 years old, with a camera that you could only guess about the image being in focus (most of these are not). So here they are, if you squint your eyes a bit they might look OK:

1) C&NW E8 5029B
aho.jpg

2) C&NW BiLevel 183
ahk.jpg

3) C&NW BiLevel 198
ahl.jpg

4) C&NW E8 5027A
ahn.jpg

5) C&NW FP7 414
ahp.jpg

6) C&NW SD40 928
ahr.jpg

7) C&NW Caboose 10347
ahm.jpg

8) C&NW GP7 1304
ahq.jpg

9) Some EJ&E locos at a crossing
ahs.jpg

10) An EJ&E caboose
aht.jpg

WOW! THANKS KEN! though some of them aren't the best of quality, i REALLY enjoyed them all!:D i LOVE all the old stuff. one thing i found MOST interesting was in the 8th pic down, that GP7 has an all weather window on it. i have a HUGE CNW pic archive, and i have NO pics with a CNW engine that has an all weather window. CNW was the king of the visors, they put visors on just about every engine, but all weather windows, i find this VERY rare.:eek: ;) 9th pic down, is a center cab Baldwin i believe, another engine you don't see many pics of. Ken, do you have ANY more? PLEASE post them if you do!:D GREAT pics Ken!;) :D THANK YOU, for posting them, -Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
lginc said:
WOW! THANKS KEN! ... do you have ANY more? PLEASE post them if you do!:D GREAT pics Ken!;) :D THANK YOU, for posting them, -Dean
Dean, thanx for the kind feedback.:eek: I'm happy to see that you found some of them useful, I wsih I could honor your request for more, but unfortunately those are the only CNW pics I've ever had the privilege to shoot.

I got really excited when I first found the box of ~300 old [mostly B&O and PC] slides - at that tiny size it's hard to notice how blurry they are. But when I got the processed prints back, I was really dissapointed and I almost didn't bother uploading - except that I had promised Carl (ac4400fan) I'd put them in his thread "across the street". At least now I know it wasn't a waste of time! Maybe I'll give the remaining slides to the B&O Hist. Soc. archivist and let him and his friends decide which ones are worth salvaging.

Ken,

YOU are the MAN!!!:cool: Thanks so much for posting these shots!!:D No need to apologize for the condition, something about the way they look takes me back to 'the day':) .

Myself, I'm very fond of covered wagons, especially commuter service ones. I have to agree with Dean in that I don't remember all-weather windows on CNW units.

I lived in the Waukegan area for a short while, and visitied the yard there. It is where that line ties up the commuter trains(scoots)when not in use. Excellent pics, Thank you so much for sharing:D :D .

Johnny

Well Johnny, I'm happy to see you finally found them - I was wondering if another "tap on the shoulder" was necessary <LOL>:D

enjineerbill said:
...Myself, I'm very fond of covered wagons, especially commuter service ones.
I saw your photo of the Athearn CNW F7 on the front page, that's why I especially thought of you when I posted these shots. Now the only one who hasn't seen them [who might be interested] is TrainboyH16-44 - look at his signature 'statement' and you'll see why.

CSX_road_slug said:
Well Johnny, I'm happy to see you finally found them - I was wondering if another "tap on the shoulder" was necessary <LOL>:D ..... Now the only one who hasn't seen them [who might be interested] is TrainboyH16-44 - look at his signature 'statement' and you'll see why.

No, sometimes you need to give me a good rap upside the head;) :eek: !!
I've seen 'TrainboyH16-44' is followin' the last three survivors, I don't have the heart to tell him I cought 'em when they came through on the Adams line:p .

Thanks again for the post. I wish I could return the favor. But when I first started 'fanning' I didn't own a decent camera:( , too bad cause I used to car-trip to Milwaukee to watch 'em load the C&O carferry with C&O power:cool: .

Later Friend

Johnny

Back