Here's the Church and Here's the Steeple--and a modeling tip

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I've been working on this church for forever. I bought it, based upon looking at the box.....

4e_1.jpg

...and assumed it was a clapboard church that would fit perfectly in the West and be an easy model to build. Well, when I opened it, it turned out to have a stone or marble design. So determined to make it work, I set about painting it. It took a lot longer than I expected, more than 6 hours per each of the main sides and less for the smaller pieces. Working 16-20 hours a week on it, it took 3 weeks to paint.

Now for the tip. After getting it together, it looked naked without the stained glass. But when I put it in, it made the work I put so much time into, look like a cheap plastic model. My wife came up with a solution. She mixed a purple mix of acrylic paint into acrylic gloss medium. This had the effect of toning down the plasticy look and making it look more like real, slightly faded stained glass.

church01.gif

church02.gif

church03.gif

church04.gif

church05.gif

That's a major work of art Chip, hat's off to ya!:cool: And to your wife [can't remember her name :eek: ] for discovering the purple gloss solution.

I noticed there is a 2.5-D relief image of the Blessed Mother and the Christ Child on the steeple - did that come with the kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
CSX_road_slug said:
I noticed there is a 2.5-D relief image of the Blessed Mother and the Christ Child on the steeple - did that come with the kit?

Yes, it came with the kit. I know what it must be like to paint N scale. My hats off to you guys that model with a microscope.

My favorite part of the building is the front door. That is actually painted with two colors on the brush at the same time. Didn't take that long to paint.

Edit: I just noticed you said the solution to the toy-like glass was matte medium. It is actually gloss medium.

CSX_road_slug said:
That's a major work of art Chip, hat's off to ya!:cool: And to your wife [can't remember her name :eek: ] for discovering the purple gloss solution.

Not only that, it is a major work of CHIP! Mouse, that is one great looking building! WOW! Nice, nice, nice!

It's Beautiful, Chip. Excellent work.
You can certainly see the extra care and craftsmanship you put in it. I really like the weathered roof and coloring of the stone sides.;) :)

Chip,

Fantastic work! That is an incredible job and kudos to Mrs. Mouse for the great save on the windows.

Peace.
Coyote

Chip,your church model looks absolutely magnificent. Fine work there boss.:) I only wish I had that much time and patience. I only have the patience,but not the time,at least not right now. Beautiful model. Well done sir.:cool: .William.

Back