Here's my layout so far...

All my current locos are DCC equipped so I don't have to worry about any conversion.

I do have a couple of locos from when I first built a similar layout 27 years ago, but I preferred to use all new units for my current layout. I won't bother with trying to change them to DCC. The locos of today are so much better in terms of smooth running, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm very happy with the switching action. The only one I'm having a bit of trouble with is the one I used on my old layout (the same plan) I did 28 years ago....it's the double slip-switch (you can see it in the photo just above where the switch control panel is. It works most of the time but I always check it and if it's not all the way into position, I just nudge it since that's where I stand most of the time when trains transit that area of switches and the yard.
About that slip switch...

About 2 months ago, I replaced that with a simple crossing track because I was tired of the slip switch not working properly. I was sure it was a faulty unit being that it was over 25 years old. I tried to find one on ebay and elsewhere on the net but never found anything to my satisfaction.

Anyway, I mentioned in another post that I'd bought a new transformer to power all of my switches and how they all snapped into place like they never did with that old, underpowered transformer I'd been using. Soooo....I thought I'd try that old slip-switch to see if it too would perform better powered by that new transformer. I was very pleased to see that it did function well like all of my other switches once I got it back in place and all connected again.

Now I'm back to having all of my routes available to me as before. That simple crossing track took away a couple of options available to me that I'd had with the slip-switch.

Good times...

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your steepest grade?
i look upon the photos with envy
Hey Manitobamodeler!

My steepest grade is approx. 3%. With my consists of 2 and 3 locos, I have no problem at all pulling the longest trains possible (limited in length only by the size of my smallest reverse loop-still quite long) up all of my inclines.

Don't be envious. It's taken me a long time to do all I've done so far and still have much to do. I'm just now starting to do the preliminary planning for my scenery and landscaping. I've been in this hobby off and on for most of my life. My dad got me started when I was about 7 years old with a Lionel set. He built a really nice layout in our garage that provided me with years of enjoyment. Here's a photo of him and me when I was 12, just like you are...I was checking out the Santa Fe locomotive that he'd recently bought for me. This was taken in 1964:

Z1_tdEERO85thtwAM0rODsmu4XKxqRNA3sFYbLDEV_A=w368-h207-p-no

GREAT PHOTO! That is awesome that you can show it in response to another youngster growing up in the hobby as well. Your layout is looking amazing. Can't wait to see more.

Manitobamodeler24 - you have a good start on a layout at only 13 years old.

Summer has come and gone. Anything new? Anxious to see the latest. Hope things are good.

Otis

Nighttrain,

I have only just seen your thread and wow, that is one very nice layout you have. I know it is N Scale but what are the dimensions of your layout? With so much track and things happening, I just might be tempted to give N Scale a go at some point, that is if my eyes will allow it :)

Hey wombat... Sorry I'm so late responding and thanks for the kind words. It's 13x6 at one end tapering down to 13x4 at the other end. You really can do a lot with N scale. It's a blast to run. I usually run 2 long trains at the same time with my wireless controller and have to stay on my toes in order to switch the correct turnout at the correct time.

Have you had a chance to get yours started yet?

Mr Train,

Anything new with the layout? Scenery, etc? FWIW, I always liked this trackplan.

Carl

Back