Here is what I have been working on...

SDP45

I like TYCO!
My Oscar and Piker kits. These are the older Walthers models, which included lots of wooden and metal parts. I got them from my old friend who no longer models because of Alzheimers.
Being that the only tools and paints I also got from him, and I wanted to use what was on hand, I chose blue for the interior. A quarter placed between both gives the relative of these cars.
The second and third pictures show more of the painting process. Yes that is the current "Trains" magazine I defiled in the process.

One more in paint in progress shot.

Next one shows roofs on both, with handrails added.

Third shows my ENTIRE roster of model equipment, locomotives included.

I still need to do some finishing work, touch up the paint, decals, couplers, etc...

I would not do these again, as the instructions were not the clearest. Some parts did not fit well, like the roof contour next to the end castings. I wound up filling a gap with a piece of rubber band, which did the job nicely.

I'm concerned how Kadee 58s will fit, but cannot finish them as I am out.

I may not post completed pictures for some time, if at all. I am not very happy with these 2 kits.

Dan it sure looks like you'll have a difficult time reading that article you painted over. :D
Kind of weird little critters aren't they, cute though. I don't know, but they look to me like private buisness cars shortened somewhat, nice interior details though. Is there a prototype for them?
Looks like you've done a nice job on finishing them. Your third photo second set shows pretty near enough rolling stock for a train but you seem to be a little short on the motive power. Was there a special engine for the Oscar and Piker kits? I seem to only vaguely remember something about them from a Walther's catalog now long gone.
Cheers Willis

It was the GE ad in "Trains" that took the brunt of the paint. No big loss. :)

Not too sure what Walthers had in motive power when these first came out. I would like to get the MDC Model 40 for my "train." Someday...

SDP45 said:
It was the GE ad in "Trains" that took the brunt of the paint. No big loss. :)

It's okay. By destroying yours you've made my copy that much more valuable. Quick, everyone follow Dan's lead, so I can have an instant collector's item! :p

SDP45 said:
I would like to get the MDC Model 40 for my "train." Someday...

Those actually run sweet! I was shocked. They are a heck of a bargain for the price, considering their quality. A bit small and odd, but if you want a critter... and for that matter, I bet they'd make excellent On30 starting points, too.

So that's the original one. I get a lot of raised eyebrows over my modern version of those cars. Mine are planned used as the big bosses train. The ordinary locomotive is a cab forward 0-4-0 Little Joe saddle tanker with a vanderbilt tender. On this picture though the locomotive is a littlebit bigger.....
http://www.dmjk.org/images/DSCF0178_600.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
These cars have been growing on me. I got some Kadee 58s, glosscote, and decal setting solution for them.

Greffern: Got any more photos?

ABC: I write a weekly column for the local newspaper on food. My picture is with every column. I resemble Chef Boyardee. Really, I do. Sometimes I wish my picture was not there, so I know how you feel.

SDP45 said:
These cars have been growing on me. I got some Kadee 58s, glosscote, and decal setting solution for them.

Greffern: Got any more photos?
No, that photo is from the club. Sorry 'bout that, but on operating evenings there is no time for pictures....

Today I put Kadee #5s on the diaphragm ends because they won't be seen. The other ends got #58s. I also put the frilly thing on the end of the Oscar.

I only bought 1 pack of 58s and wanted to stretch them out among all three cars in my fleet.

Will post a pic later.

Back