Here is a sort of birds eye view of my layout...

This is a combination of 3 pictures merged together through Photoshop to make one birds eye view of my layout as of 12/04/04. Just wanted to share. :D

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Bob, you met your deadline before Christmas :D now for the scenery, be sure to keep us posted.
Cheers Willis

Willis,

Thanks for the kind words. Scenery will have to wait for a while. I like to run the layout in for a while to see if there are any rough spots before I put down ballast and start the scenery. I still have a couple of spots that give me some trouble with certain cars. Not sure if its the track or the car though...but I suspect the car.

Regards,

I like to run the layout in for a while to see if there are any rough spots before I put down ballast and start the scenery
Sounds like an excellent plan to me Bob, I'm doing much the same thing myself. :)
Cheers Willis

Your track plan looks like a lot of fun. I'm in the middle of a track plan redesign and was wondering what radius curves you used. Also, what are the dimensions of your layout?

Mark

Update on my railroad

My layout is 10 x 10 x 5 and I have one 38" loop and one 30" loop that my 4-6-4 does not like at all. (The tender and engine bump and cause derailments on the tight curve) :( The depth is about 2 feet in most places for reaching things. Here are some pictures.

Unfortunately I am out of allowable (the Mrs. :rolleyes: ) real estate and will only be able to operate it as a point to point engine...which is ok by me...it makes lots of interesting sounds and is a Broadway Limited.

My diesels on the other hand have no problem with the tighter radius loop. I have been busy picturing building placements, scenery approach and building lighting possibly with fiber optics.

Meanwhile trains are running and my Grand Niece was thrilled on Christmas Eve to see the trains running however all she wanted to do was play with the automobiles placed on the layout. :eek: Needless to say it was a quick visit to the train room for her. That's it for now.

Regards,

A friend of mine ran into the same problem, however the curves were a lot sharper. 24 and 26 i believe. I believe he contacted BLI and got a longer draw bar. that cured the problem.

i am surprised that at 30 and 38 inch curves the unit would bind.

To say I'm suprised would be putting it mildly. Although mine are older Bachmann the 4-8-4 Northerns and the 2-10-4 have no difficulty with a 30" radius. As Bob says it must be the drawbar if they are bumping.
Cheers Willis

Added some new PIX and thanks for the suggestion...

Thanks for the suggestion. :D I will contact Broadway Limited and see if they have a longer draw bar for my engine to keep it from bumping. I added some additional pictures up in my previous posting with layout size info.

Regards,

That looks like a fun layout to run. The H16-44 looks like the perfect sized engine too. I like all the different switching areas. Hopefully, a longer drawbar will take care of your steam problems.

If you want a diesel with sound, try the trainmaster from Atlas. I just got one a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it!

Talked to Broadway Limited...

I talked to Broadway limited and unfortunately there is no longer drawbar available for this model. :(

Guess I'll have to see if I can get one made.

Regards,

OK...dumb question...what's a drawbar look like? I'm not into steam, so I'm kinda clueless here. I'm assuming (bad habit) that it's the piece that connects the engine and the tender, but I don't know what it looks like. Is it just a stamped piece of sheet metal that acts like a trailer-hitch? :confused:

What shape is the BLI drawbar? Somebody on another list suggested using license plate metal on a drawbar; but he wanted to put together an articulated well car set, and this is much tougher material. An alternative is the drawbar kit from State Tool and Die; theirs is plastic, I think. Used for articulated cars, plus drawbarred ore cars. I just got a pack via Walthers.

Kennedy

Drawbar issue

sushob said:
OK...dumb question...what's a drawbar look like? I'm not into steam, so I'm kinda clueless here. I'm assuming (bad habit) that it's the piece that connects the engine and the tender, but I don't know what it looks like. Is it just a stamped piece of sheet metal that acts like a trailer-hitch? :confused:

Sorry it's been so long...too many irons in the fire lately. :rolleyes:

Yes the drawbar connects the engine and tender and seems to be a stamped rectangular piece of metal with holes in it. I have it on the furthest holes but that did not help. I don't think any power runs through it since my Broadway Limited has a multipin connector cable between engine and tender.

Regards,

Bob, this is somewhat of a strange phenomenon when engine and tender touch on a 30"R curve. There would have to be quite an overhang from where the trucks are mounted. Is the drawbar able to move freely on both the loco and the tender?
Cheers Willis

Hello, I really like your layout how long did it take to build it? Do you have any more pictures? Thanks
Alex

Bob,

Is your railroad based on any prototype??
And could you tell us what kind of industries the railroad will serve?
Anyways,the whole thing looks really great!!! Keep up the good work. :)

Broadway Limited Drawbar Update...

After calling Broadway Limited about my drawbar dilema, I was told that none was available for my particular model. :mad:

About 6 weeks later I received (much to my surprise) an envelope from Broadway Limited and low and behold there was a longer drawbar that work perfectly to solve my problem...THANK YOU BROADWAY LIMITED!!! :D

Thanks to whoever at Broadway Limited fielded my request...needless to say I was very impressed with their efforts.

In answer to many questions... I started the layout around June/July and had it up and running by Christmas last year, which was my goal. Sorry to say I have done virtually no work on it since... but feel a second wind coming...so watch for some progress soon (fingers crossed). The problem I had was deciding what to do next/first...here is my list of things to do;
- Paint all plywood wood surfaces (decide what color)
- Remove/cut roofs (glued) off of buildings for fiber optic access
- Install fiber optic lighting to all buildings (waited for components)
- Finish installing last few under table switch machines
- Ballast tracks
- Begin Scenery
So as you can see I have a full plate

As far as road name... I like Venture Railways and will probably decal some rolling stock with that roadname but primarily I am running Denver Rio Grande and Santa Fe diesels. The layout is ficticious but is set in the west.

Hope that answered all the inquiries?

Regards,

Back