Hennepin Overland, RHS. Minneapolis, MN.

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Hey folks, just want to post a little plug for an HO scale RHS club in Minneapolis, MN. If you are, or know anyone near there, we are looking for new members! I've been super busy making new video content for our YouTube.

We're a non-profit organization that opens as a museum for the public on weekends, 1-4pm, and special weekdays TBD. Our "Operating Season" is September-April of each year, although keyed members are of course allowed to come in and run trains whenever. The layout itself is a transition-era, "everywhere and nowhere" USA sort of layout. We have areas that feel like the Midwest US, and areas that are more like the Rockies (with dummy catenary lines too!).

EDIT: A couple of hard knocks and the Covid-19 thing have spurred us into making internal changes. We are in talk of beginning prototypical ops sessions, TBD. Many of us want to do more with the layout than use it for exhibit, and the layout is definitely equipped for ops!

Screenshot_20190216-190530.jpg

11.jpg

6.jpg
Don't let my Milwaukee Road fool you, anything goes!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I may have to check it out when things re-open. It's funny, I was just in the neighborhood a few days ago, passing through when I stopped to take a few pictures of a MNNR switch crew working the elevators. Didn't realize you were all just a couple blocks away.

Based on the videos, I assume you're running DCC?

Thanks for the info, I may have to check it out when things re-open. It's funny, I was just in the neighborhood a few days ago, passing through when I stopped to take a few pictures of a MNNR switch crew working the elevators. Didn't realize you were all just a couple blocks away.

Based on the videos, I assume you're running DCC?
Correct, we are using Digitrax DCC. A couple parts of the layout are still in DC mode, so they are not activated. I'm hoping that will change within the next year as we've gotten a bushel of new members with experience.

For you gents good enough to have stopped by, watched my videos or looked at my photos, I'd like to ask you to keep an eye out. I've been given the green light to do a YouTube virtual tour of Hennepin Overland layout.

Since my last posting, I also have these two videos done and uploaded to YouTube.

The likes are much appreciated, fellas! As H.O. is trying to find its new path in these unusual times, I've basically been given carte blanche to act as a promoter for our club on social media.

A month or so ago I said I would be doing a YouTube video tour of our layout and I'm glad to report I have the video part done. I'm now stitching it together. This week I'll be doing my voiceover work.

I don't want to give away a whole lot but I took some details photos of the layout.

IMG_20201106_220844735.jpg
IMG_20201106_220938295.jpg
IMG_20201106_222718904.jpg

Back