helping a club meamber with his layout.

so I just started helping a club member with his layout. he asked for my help as I have already built three layouts my self as he already had most of the bench work done it has mostly been just laying some track and got some trains up and running around. just got a few pic of his trains running and not much of the layout but next Thursday I should get more thanks for looking...
IMG_5930_zpsd3473b9b.jpg

IMG_5931_zps63f4fca5.jpg

IMG_5932_zps99fc8aa0.jpg

IMG_5935_zps4b330dad.jpg

more to come.

so I started my own layout just a small yard with a couple of switches not much its only 7ft 11inch by 15&1/2inchs wide ill come up with a drawling of the track layout in a few but here is a few pic's
trainlayout2_zps3d0af532.jpg

trainlayout1_zps1871e3e2.jpg

trainlayout_zps5139d5ff.jpg

trainlayout4_zpsa4910687.jpg

trainlayout3_zps5795b80b.jpg

Hey Kevin!

Great pictures!

The steamer looks great and even though I am from Baltimore you have to respect "King Coal"!

I really like your Union Pacific yard too. It proves you don't have to have a big layout to enjoy your trains! That is a great engine shop, looks like they are waiting to install the overheard hoist before finishing the roof. When the shop is finished the senior mechanics will work inside, but the rookies will have to work outside, at least they have a roof! I had to earn my spot under the stars. I may be wrong, it may not even be a shop, but I'm an old mechanic and almost everything looks like a shop to me.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Hey Kevin!

Great pictures!

The steamer looks great and even though I am from Baltimore you have to respect "King Coal"!

I really like your Union Pacific yard too. It proves you don't have to have a big layout to enjoy your trains! That is a great engine shop, looks like they are waiting to install the overheard hoist before finishing the roof. When the shop is finished the senior mechanics will work inside, but the rookies will have to work outside, at least they have a roof! I had to earn my spot under the stars. I may be wrong, it may not even be a shop, but I'm an old mechanic and almost everything looks like a shop to me.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

nope it is a diesel shop I plan on putting a fuel rack in as well ill just leave the top off to show the engines I can fit like six in there thanks for looking.

nope it is a diesel shop I plan on putting a fuel rack in as well ill just leave the top off to show the engines I can fit like six in there thanks for looking.

Hey again!

I am not that old, I know its a diesel shop, I was referring to the Norfolk and Southern steamer in the first pictures. Some old timers would refer to the Norfolk Southern as "King Coal"

I forgot to mention, I like the Auto Rack Car too and what model locomotive is that pulling it? Looks like an AC6000, but I am terrible at identifying locomotives. Old eyes not as good as they use to be, but I can still tell the difference between a steam and diesel locomotive.

Hey again!

I am not that old, I know its a diesel shop, I was referring to the Norfolk and Southern steamer in the first pictures. Some old timers would refer to the Norfolk Southern as "King Coal"

I forgot to mention, I like the Auto Rack Car too and what model locomotive is that pulling it? Looks like an AC6000, but I am terrible at identifying locomotives. Old eyes not as good as they use to be, but I can still tell the difference between a steam and diesel locomotive.

ok got you. its a ac4400 and that auto rack I got for $10 at a train show with box's

I should do something like this, I've got space for something somewhat longer. Have you worked out a plan of attack i.e. how you will actually switch this yard? What about a run-around track?

A few more photo from today put up some new bench work took down the old. we got one 8ftx3ft on the right side. and on the left we put in a 8ftx2ft and dropped in theWalthers Cornerstone Motorized 130' Turntable w/DCChttp://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2850
and will soon be adding the round house I hope to get a scram of what the layout will look like thanks for looking....
CAM00411_zps43c18d08.jpg

CAM00416_zps2408aaef.jpg

CAM00400_zps1c5fda54.jpg

CAM00417_zpsdd9d33fe.jpg

more too come....

Last edited by a moderator:
Piece of advice, get that stuff (bookcase books etc) out from under your benchwork. If you wait to get around to it the task will be truly daunting.

Hey again!

Another thought about the bookshelves, you could use them to support the layout on the back side.

If my big old broken down butt can get under my layout I am sure you will be able to access the bookshelf.

There is no "right or wrong way" of doing things, just make it work and it looks like you are doing that!

I'll quote Larry the Cable Guy "get r done"

Thanks for sharing your work, I look forward to more updates. Its fun to watch other people work.

Back