Helper reverse lighting---------Help.

I'm modeling in HO, have a forward facing helper unit in a two unit consist. Would like to know just how to write CV's in English :rolleyes: for the rear lights ( and keep front off all the time ).

Not worried about the lead unit for it is an F7A with no rear light installed.

Below is page 46 from the "Quantum DCC Reference Manual" showing how to do it using "Bits". Bits and I do not get along very well so how do you do it using a "Zephyr" as like CV 49= ??, CV 55 = ?? ( or whatever as long as the bits don't bite me :D )

Below in the Reference page between the two "Fingers pointing" is what I need to make my P2K GP7 QSI unit behave with NO lights forward and reverse light in reverse only. ( sometimes if switching I like to see where I'm going. :rolleyes::) )

I know I can ( by default ) dial up engine ID # and press "0", but then no lights work either way period. Then when power is back on your back to square one. :(

OK need a guru here please. :D

GP7endhelperlights.png

Another real simple method would be to install and use JMRI as it is a public domain program (free) and makes setting up decoders as simple as point and click.
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/
The learning curve is pretty steep to learn the whole program, but the decoder programming side is pretty straight forward and simple. You will be amazed at how many different parameters one of those little decoders has in it. The joy of this software is that you can change as many of the parameters as you want without fear of screwing up or getting lost. If you cant remember what you have done, simple, it tells you. I have sat and played with an engine for hours to get it "just right" or by the same token I have spent less than 5 minutes on one and turned it loose as "good enough".
The only equipment you will need to run the software is a computer of course, and a cable to connect the computer to your booster, thats it.
Once you get the decoder side of the program figured out, poke around and you will find that the software will also track your equipment with rosters for everything, a layout manager, detection, automation software, remote software, turnout control, you name it, it's in there.

One other thing about the JMRI. You will need an interface to go on the cable. For a Zephyr, you have two choices. An Ms-100, (cheaper) or a Locobuffer. The LocoBuffer is the best. It's the one I use.

Back