Help with Lionel O Guage Pennsylvania Flyer

Newlioneltrain

Purchased the ready to run Pennsylvania Flyer kit. It's been running like a champ for several weeks. Added an inner loop to the included circular track layout, train ran fine then accidentally clicked off the remote while the train was in reverse. Not sure what could have happened, but the loco now will not run. Tender sounds all function normally and the light comes on, but no movement, noises (grinding, etc.), remote appears to be functioning fine, bluetooth app is also working but the loco is lifeless, even after cleaning rails and ensuring track has power. Anyone have any ideas what could cause the sudden break?

Thanks GeeTee. I've taken everything down to just the starter track. Eight O36 curves and the two 10'' straights (the one that plugs into the transformer and the accessory track)

Attachments

• 1205202133.jpg
    1205202133.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 196
I am not at all familiar with Lionel but there's nothing obvious to me in the photo .

My guess is shutting off the controller may have caused a glitch , So the first thing I would try is a factory reset.

There's a reset you can run through the remote. Tried that a couple times. The reset itself worked, but loco still will not respond to any moving commands. Totally at a loss of what could cause this.

Is this the type that cycles thru forward neutral and reverse when the power is interrupted?
I’m thinking maybe it’s stuck in neutral. Can’t help you much beyond that I’m afraid.

You did remove all power , batteries , ect ,for at least 30 seconds and reinstall ? Is this a new unit or did you purchase it used ? If its new I would contact who ever you purchased it from or Lionel .

Most of the people in this forum are HO and N guagers , with a few O . Not that many if any Lionel users, that are currently active.

Is this the type that cycles thru forward neutral and reverse when the power is interrupted?
I’m thinking maybe it’s stuck in neutral. Can’t help you much beyond that I’m afraid.
Nope. That's a LionChief remote on the table. It goes in whichever direction you turn the knob or select in the app.

I've had the only LionChief loco I have lose communication while running and come to a stop. It picked back up after I killed the power to the loco and then restarted everything. So what you are experiencing isn't normal.

You are assuming the remote is ok because it's talking, but there may be a problem with the throttle knob. To eliminate that as an issue, download the bluetooth app and see if everything works. If it runs, it's your remote. If not, it's the locomotive. You could take the shell off and make sure there aren't any loose wires, plugs, or boards that need reseating if it won't run from the app. Sometimes shipping can be rough on these.

Since the sounds and lights respond, and you don't get the "not connected" beep, it's obvious you have communication. If you don't find any physical issues and it won't run from the app, and since it responds to the factory reset but still won't move, you will be down to the motor drive being faulty, or something being loose you can't find. At that point you will need to contact Lionel tech support.

Hate to have to tell you this, but I've heard of lots of problems with the basic LionChief locos dying, especially in the starter sets. The LC plus and 2.0 plus seem to have much fewer issues. I have a feeling the inputs are not very well protected against surges caused by interruptions in power due to shutoffs, derailments etc. I plan on seeing if I can install a TVS diode across the loco inputs on the loco I bought (Got it because my wife wanted an old fashioned Christmas locomotive and I got a 4-4-0 Disney Holiday express at a killer price). I would recommend doing that and putting a TVS diode across the wires going to the track once this is fixed.

Back