Help with Lionel Lionmaster Big Boy

Trainboy4449

I have owned the older Lionmaster TMCC Big Boy model for a few years and have had problems operating it in conventional control with the Lionel C-80 transformer. At low speeds the model becomes erratic. It jerks forward, stops, and then repeats like this until about 50% power is applied. Then it smooths out and runs fine at medium to high speed. Is this simply due to lower voltage from the transformer at low speeds? I have not seen this mentioned anywhere.

I haven't had a layout in years but I'm trying to set some of my stuff up for Christmas. Just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with my model.

That is a dual motor locomotive and can draw significant power. If the voltage to the motors is too low, it will become erratic. Make sure all the contacts and wheels are clean, and clean the track. If it has Odyssey control, try turning it on and off to see which responds better(depends on how old the TMCC is whether or not it will have it).

Last, if that's an older CW-80, you need to replace it. They put out a stepped wave instead of a smooth sine wave which will eventually damage the electronics. Looks like this instead of a clean sine wave. It's a matter of when, not if. You may be able to have Lionel answer if it's a newer one where they cleaned up the output, or an older one.
hqdefault.jpg

Picture from a CW-80 model G

Last, if that's an older CW-80, you need to replace it. They put out a stepped wave instead of a smooth sine wave which will eventually damage the electronics. Looks like this instead of a clean sine wave. It's a matter of when, not if. You may be able to have Lionel answer if it's a newer one where they cleaned up the output, or an older one.
hqdefault.jpg

Picture from a CW-80 model G
Gak, that is a horrible looking excuse for a sine wave. An AC transformer isn't that hard to get right what are they doing!

Back