Help the modern-day NYCS select a livery for its standard cab locos!

OK, after looking over my pictures again and comparing them to my models, I realized the gray paint is way off in the pictures. It should have a more greenish tint, so here's yet another picture, color corrected. I think the silver trucks look good now, what do you guys think?

[ img] http://www.nycsystem.com/other/nycs402concept1.jpg[/img]

That looks too green. Your models don't look near that green in person or in your pictures. Are you going to make the logo bigger?

Last one...

I think this is the best. It almost exactly matches the widecab power, which would seem to go against my goal of differentiating the standard cabs from the wide cabs, but I felt anything less reflected poorly on the standard cabs. (made them look like they belonged on a shortline, haha)

grayface.jpg

Also notice, the whiteface is gone. I had mixed feelings about it...

Smoke, I can't make the logo any bigger since it's very small on the widecabs. I'm going to use the same decal for the logo. Besides, I don't want the standards to have a larger logo than the widecabs.

I like that one. I'd still say go half & half with the silver trucks, saying they started it, then gave it up as costs rose, and the wide cabs arrived...

Now why would the underframe be black with SILVER trucks!? You either find them with entirely silver underframe or entirely black (or any other color.)

It lacks elegance if the underframe doesn't match the main body color, come on! :)

Make the underframe gray like the rest, and you have a winner!

Also, White cab roofs (no whiteface) on some of the older non-AC units would be a humane thing to do for your crews...don't want their little plastic haands to melt to the throttle in hot summer days! ;)

Miles:

The underframe, walkways, front pilot and rear pilot, stepwells and everything below the sill are all dark gray (NYC dark gray to be precise), while the trucks are silver. I think it looks pretty classy:

IMG_6076.jpg

Ok, you're right! That does look awfully classy! :) But do you think the NYCS would spring for the extra money to have a fleet of 6 color locomotives?? (Lt. Gray Dk. Gray, White, Black, and Red?) I'd imagine through the Financially hard 70's and 80's and Early 90's wouldn't they have developed a cheaper paintcscheme? Nah! It's a model Railroad! :)

The NYCS today is a financially strong, full-service logistics company that is thriving, and can afford to invest in its equipment. Remember, this isn't your daddy's New York Central System :)

It certianly isn't! It looks like a great company, and you have the benefit of an excellent public image!
Although your version of "Operation Red Block" doesn't seem to be too well inforced..lol! ;)

http://www.utu.org/DEPTS/PR-DEPT/REDBLOCK.HTM

Cheers to the NYCS and I look forward to seieng long trains of NYCS equipment pulling revenue freight across my computer screen every time you post a photo! :)

Very good ideas and I really enjoyed looking at your graphics, Matt. I agree that the whiteface probably isn't the way to go, but it did look quite sharp with your paint scheme. I would probably recommend trying to find something similar to how you have your widecabs painted because, as you said, this isn't a shortline and you want to have your fleet be consistent. That was an important consideration in developing my Rock Lobster scheme, that I find something that would fit both types of cabs. But I do like the idea of mixing in the black/cigar band scheme to show what the past was like. And I'd probably keep the silver trucks for the standard cabs.

In any case, I'm glad to see you thinking this through and not making any brash decisions! This will be very important for the future of your railroad.

Back