Help! Reverse Loop Questions

WOW, never thought about that ! Thanks for that heads up!!

I'm going to have to relook at the new suggestions offered.

Before I do that review, how about if I throw out another crazy idea. What if I made that whole right hand side a traditional ordinary power district itself (rather than a reversing district/section), then make a very short reversing transistion joint between the two big (left and right) districts right there in the middle where I have that yellow line (now yellow circle)? I say short section as it might only have to handle an engine or pair of engines. It would NOT see lighted passenger cars, nor pusher engines operations, nor long trains, etc. And it would likely never see 2 different engines entering nor leaving simultaneously just due to the shared turnouts/tracks in that area.?

It would just be a linking element between 2 regular power districts that have reverse polarity tracks.

image%28139%29.png

Please forgive my naivety, just brainstorming. I'll go look at the other ideas recently suggested.

Reconsider

Let me say right up front that I can revert to the original ideas put forward so well by DrJolS , and that I have already wired for.

Why not just make the reversing sections as suggested (originally)? You have to deal with it on that side of the layout. Chris
BUT,
So originally I ended up with 2 reversing sections over on the right hand side of the layout. BUT, what if those reverse sections didn't have to exist,...neither one of them would have to be there if the peninsula tracks were simply of the opposite polarity,....a polarity matching that of the via-duct over on that right hand side. That would mean that any trains entering of leaving the peninsula area from that side would NOT be limited by any of those limitations imposed by reversing sections,....and I would have 2 extra PSX-AR units to use elsewhere. That's a couple of reasons I might consider pursuing this new 'crazy' idea.

What are the obstacles?,...2 that I see.
1) How to effect a change in the polarity of all those peninsula tracks as a group.
2) Compatibility with that other track connected at the slip-switch,..(to be addressed if this new idea is adopted)

I am proposing that this change in polarity of the entire peninsula area can take place at these 2 tracks entering from the left side of the layout, just below the turntable. In these 2 photos I have marked off (with blue tape) the extent of these reverse sections for both the diesel engine(s), and the long steam engines.
image-20210310090333-1.jpeg

image-20210310090424-2.jpeg

image-20210310090503-3.jpeg

Notice I have made the section long enough for a pair of diesels to communication with the freight yard/diesel service areas. And I made the other section long enough to allow the longest of steam engines to get to the turntable or coaling tower. Furthermore I believe these two short sections could SHARE the same PSX-AR reverser as this combinations of engines would not be using these tracks simultaneously ?

image-20210310090618-4.jpeg

Take note that the steam section goes all the way to the turntable bridge,...very conveniently this arrangement makes for a compatible polarity match with that turntable bridge track.

So no one has any opinions or comments on this reverser subject?
Nope! I am not qualified to answer or comment since I have neither a turntable nor any reverse sections on my layout. I view a lot of threads like these to broaden my knowledge and simply see others progress.

Back