HELP Needing inexpensive 1/87 scale cars

koolmath5

Ok, here is my dilema. I want to add realistic cars to my railroad layout, but at 10 to 20 dollars a car my layout is going to do without. Anyone have any idea where I can find decent cars for about 2 dollars a piece.

Model Train Shows/expos

Yard sales, and sometimes thrift stores.

You're going to have to look for older rolling stock, perhaps even older Tyco and Life-Like cars and modify and detail them to make them look more like models. It sounds difficult, but there's loads of old Model Railroad magazine articles on doing just that.

Ok, here is my dilema. I want to add realistic cars to my railroad layout, but at 10 to 20 dollars a car my layout is going to do without. Anyone have any idea where I can find decent cars for about 2 dollars a piece.

question is do you want quality or quantity? Kits are still available @ $6-20. More for intermodal. Check swap meets, flea markets and LHS. 2 LHS in my area still have P2k and Accurail kits. One has a good variety of Athearn BB, FRP and other kits from the 80's and 90's. Good luck. Phil

Wally World occasionaly gets the Fresh Cherries cars for about $3 each, not sure if they've had their run or not.
I agree with the swap meets and flea markets, consignment bins in hobby shops also.

Are we talking railcars or vehicles by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phooey on the new expensive cars you have to add your own kadee couplers and weight to. Let the rich with too much time buy them.

Don't be afraid of ebay. Sure lots of the older railcars I have purchased have plastic wheels and needed weights but heck the new ones come with odd couplers and are over or under weighted also. Buy a few from the same seller to save on shipping. Just search for kadee or at least knuckle coupler to save you that investment.

He needs to answer the question of; Railroad cars or Vehicles? What is it?:confused:

Honestly? eBay...there are great deals out there. I just won 5 Trident Chevy's and a Busch Ford for $22. Trident's are great because they're easy to work with and customize.

If you can wait about a week I'm going to list all of my 1/87th vehicles in my FS section. I have about 150 Fresh Cherries & others. I'm selling them all for $3.00 a pc. & I have some w/camper trailers for $5.00 a pc. Be patient Guys.:D:)

Back