Help, my Engine Addiction is out of Control

D

dthurman

I found out the store just got these 2 engines in. I have to quit buying these things. Are there any 12 step programs to help guys like me stop buying all the great engines the manufactures keep releasing ;)

176-7033-500.jpg

176-7031-500.jpg

Hoping to bring them home soon. I know they are just dying to run with those SD80Mac's, just so they can show EMD how tuff they are.

Those pictures don't do them justice. I saw them and they look nice. Kato is now doing thinner flanges. I was amazed.

Dave, good luck, I can't suggest anything, but um, well if you have no many you can't buy more. so SPEND IT ALL then you can stop for a while! :p I'll never be able to myself :-(, I've been playing with the new Santa Fe F unit all week!

OH My! What beauties!
They could almost make my layout leap into the future;) :)

David, you completed the first step. You have admitted that you have a Locomotive addiction...only 11 more to go:D .

Intervention?!?

My wife has a three step intervention program.
I usually am distracted from "GOTTA HAVE" by the second lump on my head. If not, the third lump will make me unable to function for awhile.
How many is "too many engines"?:confused:

dthurman said:
Are there any 12 step programs to help guys like me stop buying all the great engines the manufactures keep releasing ;)

Dunno. Who's the guy who had 600+ engines and no layout?

Kennedy

Yep, I know a fella that has a over 50 locos and around 200 cars and no layout.
I'm going to be tougher though. I've resolved NOT to buy anymore until I at least get the track down permanently.
I think. I hope... I'm going to try ... real hard.
Jarrell

I don't have 600 engines, probably closer to 100 in these photos. I don't have a layout - any running I do is with our club modules.

Miscdiesels.png

CPDiesels.png

CNdiesels.png

There are more that don't fit into these categories, or ar under construction, still in the boxes, etc.

Bob

Where is that elephant SD40? BTW are you the same Bob Boudreau that had a company that sold paper buildings? I remember reading an old RMC that had your name an that company. If so, are you still doing it? Or if not what happened with it? Looked interesting. I am thinking about getting into paper modeling for model railroading.

PNKFLOYD said:
My wife has a three step intervention program.
I usually am distracted from "GOTTA HAVE" by the second lump on my head. If not, the third lump will make me unable to function for awhile.
How many is "too many engines"?:confused:

Mike, that is an intervention program that will work everytime. I usually get fore warned that an intervention is coming by a squinting of eyes, biting of lower lip, and the firm question, "WHY?"
"Well, uh...uh...it's really a nice one...uh...boy, it should would be fun to have...uh....":rolleyes: :D

dthurman said:
Bob

Where is that elephant SD40? BTW are you the same Bob Boudreau that had a company that sold paper buildings? I remember reading an old RMC that had your name an that company. If so, are you still doing it? Or if not what happened with it? Looked interesting. I am thinking about getting into paper modeling for model railroading.

David:

Here's my CP SD40-2 with the Elephant Ears rear hoods. My article on making it was in the March 2005 Model Railroading:

CPSD40-2Hood.png

Not the same guy that did paper buildings! A long time ago I got an inquiry about the same thing, didn't know anything about another me out there. I later found out about the other guy, used to make paper structures in O scale. Never heard about him again until now.

dthurman said:
Are there any 12 step programs to help guys like me stop buying all the great engines the manufactures keep releasing ;)

Why yes there is...

As my wife might say,"there's the door, start marching!"

It's getting harder all the time I had to say NO! at my LHS just before Christmas as they were offering the Bachmann 2-10-0 Decapods for $110 CDN. You can't beat that and I had to say no:(

Fergie

RexHea said:
Mike, that is an intervention program that will work everytime. I usually get fore warned that an intervention is coming by a squinting of eyes, biting of lower lip, and the firm question, "WHY?"
"Well, uh...uh...it's really a nice one...uh...boy, it should would be fun to have...uh....":rolleyes: :D
Rex- its kinda like watching women on the street, the good lookin ones keep my attention.
A diesel engine will be easier for her to distract me with a sarcastic, WHY?:mad:
But with a nice steamer like the BLIs with DCC and sound, its "one lump or two" to get my attention.
I really shouldn't say that as she is really very understanding about letting me look as long as I don't buy... real often.:rolleyes:

I got around the 'no permanently-laid track' problem by creating a 'Torture Test Track' (tm) so I had a place to test locos and freight cars that I built. It was big enough to run stuff on the floor in the basement, but in reality, it was a desperately temporary solution.

My current long term solution is to have actually built a layout, but not lay down any permanent trackwork. I did this because I wanted time to prove out the trackplan; if you permanently lay down track, and find you only need an extra inch to do more stuff, and you actually have that extra inch to use, well, temp trackwork you can change things. Or, revise the way switches and sidings are located to make operations better.

In my case, though, this temporary trackwork becomes somewhat permanent, since I haven't gotten around to permanently affixing it.....

:D

Kennedy

Railphotog said:
I don't have 600 engines, probably closer to 100 in these photos. I don't have a layout - any running I do is with our club modules.

Miscdiesels.png

CPDiesels.png

CNdiesels.png

There are more that don't fit into these categories, or ar under construction, still in the boxes, etc.

thats alot of locos, your making me jealous:eek::mad:

I just received 2 HHP-8's from Micro-Mark that are really nice Diesels. Bachmann Spectrum's. Silent running w/plenty of power. Plus I bought 2 powered "B" units for my F-7's in the Trainline brand. Have to get some more diaphrams to match the "A" units.
Engines; I keep saying I'm going to sell some of my older one's, but, hate to part w/something that is like Gold. I'm up to about 60 engines. 99% diesel.
Just have a cpl. older steam engines. Bought 1 for $10.00 at a yard sale & the smoke unit still works. Looks like an old Varney. Runs real good & pulls a lot of weight. I'll have to get all my engines together for a portrait this weekend.

Larry (BTW--100 engines aren't enough) (LOL)

Back