Help, my Engine Addiction is out of Control

I'm 16. in the last 4 years, I've gotten 22 locomotives. I have never had more than $250 because of this. Also because of that fact, I also don't have a wife to stop me from spending my savings! Now where's this support group, I really need help..I ran out of room in the roundhouses early last year..

Oh boy TrainBoy! You had better get some control on that now! 22 at 16 years old, hmm lets do the math,

4=22, so I am 45, - 16 = 29 years, ÷ 4 = 7.25 X 22 = 159.5 + the 22 you now have... 181.5, well I guess that's not too bad, but I would expect your income level to increase, so hmm, you may be posting here in 30 more years admitting the same thing ;)

Railphotog said:
I don't have 600 engines, probably closer to 100 in these photos. I don't have a layout - any running I do is with our club modules.

Miscdiesels.png

There are more that don't fit into these categories, or ar under construction, still in the boxes, etc.

Is that a Bessemer SD9 I see in there?

I myself am 16. Prolly about 25 or so locomotives that are on "higher end" of detail. (Not model power, standard life-like, etc.) Here are some crappy pics as I am in a "transformation" phase of the layout right now. I think it's pretty obvious what the main two railroads I collect are......
mso997CC.jpg

B&LE SD38-2s 877 and 878, B&LE SD18 854
msoB817D.jpg

B&LE SD38s 861, 862, and 863.
msoE86D2.jpg

B&LE SD40T-3s 909, 905, 904, and 907.
mso1EDDB.jpg

E-L Stuff
msoD02E8.jpg

B&LE F7's
mso72989.jpg

B&LE AS616 407

Have a good week!!
-Bob

Its hard to keep a small locomotive fleet when you model 7 roads! (C&O, B&O/Chessie, =WM=, N&W, Clinchfield, SCL/Family lines, Southern and Interstate)

I've been collecting models of locomotives from coal-hauling railroads for about 4 years now, I've added a good amount of new engines in the last year (Being employed helps, a lot)

The Fleets(s):

C&O

GP9: P2K (5, one with sound)
GP7: P2K (4)
GP-30: P2K (2, soon to become more with the P2K re-release)
GP-35: RTR (2)
GP-38: Atlas (2)
U25B: Stewart (1)
U30C: Atlas (2)
SD-35: Atlas (1)
SD-40: Kato (2)
SW7: BLI (2)
A-B set of F-7's (2 sets, ones Stewart and one is Athearn)
E-8: BLI (1)

B&O:

Chessie:

SD-35: Atlas (2, one in B&O sub and one in WM)

=WM= :

GP9 P2k: (2, One is a chopped nose kitbash, a bash I'm quite proud of.)
F7 A-B set: Athearn
RS3: Atlas (1)
GP-35: Bachmann DCC and RTR (3)
SD-35: Atlas (3, Two in speed lettering and 1 in circus)
SD-40: Kato (1, custom painted in the speed lettering scheme)

N&W:

SD-40-2: Kitbashed Athearns with cannon high-hoods (2, one has soundtraxx)
SD-35: Atlas, with kitbashed high-hood (1)

Clinchfield:

SD-40: Kato (2)
SD-45: Kato (1)
U30C: Atlas (1)
GP9: P2K (1)
F-7: Athearn (1, A-B set)

Southern:

SD-24: Atlas (1)

Interstate:

RS3: Atlas (2, 8 more and I'll have the entire roster!)

SCL/Family lines

SD-45: P2K (2)
C30-7: BLI (1)

Since I am currently sans layout (I used to have a 10x24 to run most of this stuff), most of my modeling is running these engines down at the club (Most have DCC decoders, theres only 2 or 3 without them) and detailing and weathering diesels, Most of the Katos I listed are custom painted by myself, or others. I go on "Kicks" where all I will buy for 3-6 months is locomotives from a single road, C&O is the road of choice and thats where most of my modeling is focused. I have so many locomotives because I find them on the cheap (Most of the time). I couldnt imagine building a collection of locomotives paying full list price. I'm really at the point where I have enough, and im considering selling a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
dthurman said:
Oh boy TrainBoy! You had better get some control on that now! 22 at 16 years old, hmm lets do the math,

4=22, so I am 45, - 16 = 29 years, ÷ 4 = 7.25 X 22 = 159.5 + the 22 you now have... 181.5, well I guess that's not too bad, but I would expect your income level to increase, so hmm, you may be posting here in 30 more years admitting the same thing ;)
Let's rethink that math..since Christmas 2003, which is about 2 years, I have gotten most of those engines..in fact,19 in two years..now do I have a problem? Wait..where did that money come from???:eek:

Too many engines?? addiction??
My wife asked once why do you need so many engines so I rattled off how many of every wheel config UP had. 105 challengers 25 bigboys 44 northerns and on and on she said there is no way you need all of those engines so we came to a compromise 2 of every wheel configuration UP had
I call it the Noah's ark program

I've only got three locomotives (all Atlas GP38/40s) and an MP15DC on order. Well, okay, I've got a couple others that are probably permanently out of service, or will at least never show up on my layout.

But because I pretty much have more engines than layout, my wife has put a moratorium on new loco purchases. Which is fine, because I prefer running them to looking at them anyway.

Reading these posts, I realized that I too have an engine addiction. It started out slowly, an engine here and one there. Then I discovered model train shows and would come home with 5 or 10, of course this was the 1980's when I was young and didn't think I had a problem. My friends would say as I was shelling out more cash, "Why do you need that?" My reply would always be, "GTW interchanges with them", to justify the need for that engine. At one time I had more F-units than the Grand Trunk Western ever had. I had engines from different eras, units that were traded in and their replacements next to each other on the shelf. I was out of control

I had to do something about my need for plastic, so I did. I switched to brass. The wallet won't allow me to do that anymore.

Now if I can just stop finding U-3-b's on ebay.:)

Steve
A recovering engine addict

I guess I fall into the "addict" category, too. When I was a kid and didn't have a lot of money to spend, I got into model railroading and only had a few engines. Now that I'm about thirty years older than those old days, I've re-discovered the hobby. About two years ago, I started to acquire some new locomotives. In that time, here's what I've acquired:

3 Challengers
1 Hudson
1 0-8-0 switcher
1 three truck Shay
3 F3As
3 F3Bs
2 GP60s
2 4-8-4s
1 NW2
1 SW7
1 E6A
1 E6B

Let's see, that's 20 in about two years (assuming I counted all of them). In addition to these, I've acquired numerous freight and passenger cars, enough track to build a layout about four times the size of what I have, a DCC system with several add-ons, and decoders for many of the engines. I have also purchased a bunch of building kits, a few vehicles and a bunch of other accessories (Kaydee couplers, metal wheels, etc.), and some tools to work with to put it all together. I guess you could say I'm more than just an engine addict, since I seem to be addicted to the whole hobby of model railroading. Does this mean that I need multiple twelve step programs?

Uh-oh!

HaggisKennedy said:
Questions like these invariably lead me to *silently* wonder about the shoe collection....

Kennedy

With a lot of teenagers today, I have seen tennis shoe collections that would rival most women, my girlfriends 19 year old is one of them, in fact he takes more time to primp him self up before leaving the house, I have to look twice to make sure he's not wearing a skirt :eek:

Within the past year I have purchased 15 HO scale locos (Southern and NS) Just because they look great. I don't even have a HO layout!!!!! Also have 10 N Scale Southern engines. Which I DO have a layout for. It is addictive !!!!!!!

Back