Help Me Plan My Layout

OK, so here's my first draft of the layout. I like you plan, especially the wide radius curves.

Two things bother me though.

1) The left side of your yard won't fit as drawn unless I miss my guess.

2) I really have a problem with the long diagonal bridge over the yard. Bridges are expensive (in the prototype) and the goal is to build one as short as possible. If I was designing that area in the real world, I've move the bridge to the left of the throat so I only have cross a single track. Granted, once in a while, you can't do it due to other constraints, mountains, cities, whatever. But it didn't set well with me.

So, I came up with a version that resolved both issues. The bridge is now the big sweeping red S curve. It crosses over the yard throat, so it's more realistic looking. The revised yard also gives you lots more space for the ladder on the left side.

The blue is obviously water, but not just a big lake. I'm thinking that area would be a city / harbor scene, sort of like the John Allen shot you posted.

See what you think?

View attachment 56304

Those are some great options to consider. I like the extra room for the yard, and it would make reaching the cars on the a little easier without the bridge over the top of them.

You guys are awesome. :)

OK, so I created the plan in 3rd PlanIt so I could experiment with it. The yard took up even more room than I expected, but I think it can fit in nicely. Here's what I have so far. (Not much, but between being rusty on 3rdPlanit and experimenting to make the yard fit, it took a while...)

layout-160313.jpg

Now that you've got the room all drywalled, time to do some accurate measuring. And a couple of questions. What are you thinking of having the layout base height at? Could the books in the bookshelf be stored on shelves under the layout instead?

OK, so I created the plan in 3rd PlanIt so I could experiment with it. The yard took up even more room than I expected, but I think it can fit in nicely. Here's what I have so far. (Not much, but between being rusty on 3rdPlanit and experimenting to make the yard fit, it took a while...)

View attachment 56308

That is pretty slick. I have tried a few of those track planning programs and have found them to be frustrating. Is there a file that gives the information concerning the turnout size, type and track lengths? I appreciate your time and effort.

Now that you've got the room all drywalled, time to do some accurate measuring. And a couple of questions. What are you thinking of having the layout base height at? Could the books in the bookshelf be stored on shelves under the layout instead?

I can get some detailed measurements tonight after work. The book shelves will be relocated outside of the room. Not sure about the layout height.

The reason I asked about the bookshelves was that without them in the room, the layout could be moved over to the left, which would allow the yard to be lengthened, which would eliminate the need for separate staging and allow for wider access aisles. Seeing you're relocating the shelves elsewhere, the height factor is not so much an issue. The 2 doorways? Do they have doors, and if so, do they swing into the room or out? The left doorway would still be useful to allow access to the layout at that bottom end, so I'm not suggesting blocking it off, so their exact positions along that bottom wall should also be noted.

I noticed your query about track lengths, are you thinking about using sectional (set track) track rather than flextrack, because that will place planning restrictions on what can be achieved in your space.

The reason I asked about the bookshelves was that without them in the room, the layout could be moved over to the left, which would allow the yard to be lengthened, which would eliminate the need for separate staging and allow for wider access aisles. Seeing you're relocating the shelves elsewhere, the height factor is not so much an issue. The 2 doorways? Do they have doors, and if so, do they swing into the room or out? The left doorway would still be useful to allow access to the layout at that bottom end, so I'm not suggesting blocking it off, so their exact positions along that bottom wall should also be noted.

I noticed your query about track lengths, are you thinking about using sectional (set track) track rather than flextrack, because that will place planning restrictions on what can be achieved in your space.

Yes two ways in, no doors, the wall between them is actually chimney space that extends into the entry. No fireplace in the basement though, but a stove upstairs. Yes, flex track is the preferred option. I was just wondering how much track length between the turnouts.

Here are the room measurements as close as I can get them. The rounded corner is actually made up of 4 3 foot sections in width that go floor to ceiling.

Train room measured.jpg

That is pretty slick. I have tried a few of those track planning programs and have found them to be frustrating.

Right now it's frustrating as hell. Some stuff doesn't work the way it should, other stuff just isn't working at all. I'm using your layout as a test to learn some of the new features on the latest version.

Here's a rendering of the left side of things. Very rough, mostly just playing with the terrain feature to see what it does, but worked kinda cool...

topo-1.jpg

That is cool. The elevation of the layout comes through very clear. It is exciting to see it in a 3-D format, and makes me want to get started ASAP. :)

Getting better at 3rdPlanit. What I like about this one is that the train really shows how large the layout is. Those curves aren't the typical 18" radius, they're over 30". That means much nicer curves and longer trains.

topo-160315.jpg

Getting better at 3rdPlanit. What I like about this one is that the train really shows how large the layout is. Those curves aren't the typical 18" radius, they're over 30". That means much nicer curves and longer trains.

View attachment 56337
That is pretty cool. It looks like a lot of work too. I am not familiar with that program, it sounds complicated, but the result is amazing. Does the program give you a list of materials, and or a guide for laying track?

Nice to see your working through the planning, just a suggestion though, you may want to reconsider how many yard rails you really need.

The reason I asked about the bookshelves was that without them in the room, the layout could be moved over to the left, which would allow the yard to be lengthened, which would eliminate the need for separate staging and allow for wider access aisles.

I don't know I like the staging area you drew in. The yard could be smaller which might give more options for industry, a Y to the staging area, or a round house, or a combo of the above.

That is pretty cool. It looks like a lot of work too. I am not familiar with that program, it sounds complicated, but the result is amazing. Does the program give you a list of materials, and or a guide for laying track?

Yes, I think it does create a list. I know you can export a file that you can then take to a blueprint shop and have them print it.

I used it a few years ago, and your post inspired me to try it again. The new version has some nice new features, but I'm having to learn some new tricks.

Nice to see your working through the planning, just a suggestion though, you may want to reconsider how many yard rails you really need.

Lynn, just to be clear, this is my take on the design, with very little input other than the sketch. It's simply a rough concept, still very much under development, and quite possibly not even remotely close to what will be built.

Also, while it looks like 7 yard tracks, it's really only 6 (which still may be too many), the right most track is actually the mainline. Again, this is purely a speculative design on my part to give him some ideas to start from.

I don't know I like the staging area you drew in. The yard could be smaller which might give more options for industry, a Y to the staging area, or a round house, or a combo of the above.

I had another idea for the staging yard. I was considering suggesting that it be two levels, the lower level staging and the upper level would be industry tracks with building flats to provide more switching.

So if you put the staging on a second level would you need a helix to get the trains to the top level? Or could you do it with a ramp? I think I am leaning toward a one level layout , but I am open to other ideas.

So if you put the staging on a second level would you need a helix to get the trains to the top level? Or could you do it with a ramp? I think I am leaning toward a one level layout , but I am open to other ideas.

That depends on how much space you want between the levels. I was thinking there might be enough separation between the two tracks as I've shown them in the section I've posted, but it's still too early for any details.

A bit late to the party here, but two suggestions.

1) Use a track planning program and/or lay out your turnouts. (Switches). They ALWAYS take up far more room than you think they will. It's the downfall of most track plans.

2) I firmly believe all trackplans should have as much staging as possible. Yards are for switching, not train parking lots. Put a long staging track someplace, usually on a lower deck, where you can store full consists.

I ended up with a layout similar is size, and can see the benefits of a staging area below the layout. I think that could be done in your case with a tunnel portal and ramp going under the main level. I am not sure if that would be like a "spur" (dead end) track but I can see the benefits of designing it more like a siding where you can come in one end and out the other.

In my case, the staging is done in my closet and the rolling stock and locos on the layout are the ones I am using for the operations that I plan on working that day or week. My "yard" has a track for eastbound, westbound, and storage. It is where the cars are waiting for the scheduled train to take them "off the layout". There are also two maintenance spurs. The "inbound" freight is staged further up on a siding next to the mainline, and immediately delivered to the appropriate industry with the switcher. In that operation, the loaded outbound freight is first delivered to the appropriate east or west track.

The storage track is for cars that are frequently used but not needed immediately. Industries without enough storage area, like the iron works and sawmill, keep empty flats or loaded/empty gondolas, box cars, extra stock cars, and petroleum.

If I had put the under layout storage area in, it would be a lot easier taking trains "off the layout" and bringing trains in.

Sounds like lower level staging might be the way to go. I like the idea of a siding where you come in one end and go out the other. Maybe directly under the switching yard at the top of the layout. That would give room for a ramp coming down at one end and up at the other.

Finished painting the room last night. Tomorrow we go to pick up some stain for the floor. Hope to get that done this weekend. Next comes the window trim, hang the lights, and install the cove base. Then it will be ready for the bench work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back