Help Me Plan My Layout

Time for another update.
Expanded the turntable yard with more tracks.
DA2BFA0E-521E-4CD2-8154-362AE3B1CAD1.jpeg

Added a couple of industries
0DF03F73-FF7A-48AB-89DA-9DABEFBDFFD2.jpeg

480FEB30-FA55-4CF9-AE7E-8DB1A9F317E2.jpeg

I finished installing the gravel in my loco and freight yards. I made sure to seal all of the cement. I ended up using 4 cans of cheap hairspray, and totally saturated the cement with it. It didn't kick up the dust, and did a good job of penetrating and permeating the fines. It dried solid.

Pros to this project:
  1. It was very cheap less than$25.00 for the Quick Crete and hair spray.
  2. It turned out great.
Cons:
  1. The cement dust is unhealthy to breath.
  2. The layout smells like a beauty shop, but that will dissipate in time.
View attachment 122919View attachment 122920View attachment 122921
It looks to me, that you have enough room there, to add either, or possibly both a small 'car shop,' given the passenger cars you've got parked adjacent to the turntable. Another idea is to add a small 'thru,' or stub diesel house, in this area.

I'm also not sure if where you have the coaling tower makes sense (at the far end of a stub end siding?), as from what I've learned over the years, a lot of times, the coaling tower was placed on the outbound service track from the roundhouse, so that tenders could be stopped for coal, on the way out of the servicing area, prior to starting their work day. The ash pit would similarly be placed on the inbound service track, so the fire could be dumped, if needed, prior to entering the service facility. As you show them, the hostler would have to make extra moves to get the locos to/from here, as part of servicing, and 'time (and servicing) is money to rr accountants,' hence these suggestions to improve the effeicency of these facilities.

Maybe add a 3rd track to the turntable, and move the coaling tower to it, as well as the ashpan service track too. This would free up some space for a diesel house of some sort. pr another car shop like building, besides the 'add on.' to the roundhouse. I like everything I see; just trying to provide some feedback, should you be looking for a project or two for this area.

Layout Update:
Working on my little town. Need another building, some automobiles, people, park and picnic details. But it is coming along. Also replaced the bridge over the yard with a better structure. Added some trees, and turf too.View attachment 139216View attachment 139217View attachment 139218View attachment 139219View attachment 139220View attachment 139221View attachment 139222View attachment 139223View attachment 139224
Nice looking town and all, but no sidings for industry/freight house, or even a team track? Besides hauling passengers and 'overhead/thru freight,' how does your railroad company in this area, 'make any money?' People usually need to work somewhere, to be able to afford to live somewhere nice like this, even if they don't work in a factory.

Looking forward to getting Train Controller set up to automate the trains on the layout. I have been playing with the program in the simulator mode.
Oh, and I started a snow shed. It will probably be expanded. View attachment 159869
View attachment 159870
I'm not an expert of show/rock sheds, however the up-rights look too few, and/or undersized for what its intended to do. It might also need to be a bit wider, like almost as wide as the cliff, so stuff doesn't pile up, right next to the track, by late in the season.

Did some work on my staging area with building flats, added a third track, and started work on a small farm. Also getting my blocks and occupancy detectors set up and installed.
View attachment 159866
View attachment 159865
View attachment 159867
View attachment 159868
Like the background buildings! Makes you feel like its a large citified area you're getting into. You might add a highway bridge, or grade crossing somewhere, to add interest. What about adding the facade of a passenger station somewhere along the backdrop, as well as some platforms? Also, don't some of those businesses/industries on the backdrop need a siding and loading dock, to ship/receive stuff they make/buy? That's why so many buildings like these were located along side the railroad, years ago.

Things looking very good!

Also, not sure that's the proper place for a farm, in the last shot. Maybe an area for some industries?

Like the background buildings! Makes you feel like its a large citified area you're getting into. You might add a highway bridge, or grade crossing somewhere, to add interest. What about adding the facade of a passenger station somewhere along the backdrop, as well as some platforms? Also, don't some of those businesses/industries on the backdrop need a siding and loading dock, to ship/receive stuff they make/buy? That's why so many buildings like these were located along side the railroad, years ago.

Things looking very good!

Also, not sure that's the proper place for a farm, in the last shot. Maybe an area for some industries?
Thanks for all of the great input. Lots pf ideas for future additions and or modifications!

Back