HELP! Locomotive shorting layout

PMW

I use the NCE Power Cab with the SB5. The layout consists of two power districts and I use NCE EB-1 circuit breakers.

My Athearn Genesis ES44dc ran into a switch not lined for it and caused a short. After the breaker reset I restarted the loco (not over a turnout) and it was fine while "idling" but immediately caused a short at speed step one. I removed it from the layout and checked my other loco. It ran fine.

I shut off the layout and looked around and thought about what could be going on...I came up with nothing. When I put the loco back on my layout it was fine for a couple of minuets but then shorted again (not over a turnout). Then it shorts every time I move it but seems fine idling.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks,
-Paul

Last edited:
I use the NCE Power Cab with the SB5. The layout consists of two power districts and I use NCE EB-1 circuit breakers.

My Athearn Genesis ES44dc ran into a switch not lined for it and caused a short. After the breaker reset I restarted the loco (not over a turnout) and it was fine until idling but immediately caused a short at speed step one. I removed it from the layout and checked my other loco. It ran fine.

I shut off the layout and looked around and thought about what could be going on...I came up with nothing. When I put the loco back on my layout it was fine for a couple of minuets but then shorted again (not over a turnout). Then it shorts every time I move it but seems fine idling.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks,
-Paul

Possibly might want to check the metal "wipers" on the loco at each axle. It may have been hit or bent when it went in the switch point? I dunno this odd.

Do you have JMRI?

Thanks. I use JMRI ops but don't yet have it interfaced with the layout.

This is going to show what a beginner I am...What exactly are "wipers" and where would I find them? If I find them, what am I looking for?
Sorry to reply with another question but this is new to me.

Thanks. I use JMRI ops but don't yet have it interfaced with the layout.

This is going to show what a beginner I am...What exactly are "wipers" and where would I find them? If I find them, what am I looking for?
Sorry to reply with another question but this is new to me.

Do you have a program track?

If you do you can run a test on the decoder of the locomotive to make sure nothing went wrong there.

Wipers are the little tiny tabs that are resting on the inside of the wheels of each axel which picks up the electrical current from the wheels.

Wow, you're asking all the right questions to make me feel stupid :).

When I used the Power Cab alone I could use the program track but the SB5 means I have to have a separate program track and I haven't done that yet. That's why the offending engine is still on address 003 :). If I get a program track going this weekend I'll let you know and hopefully I can get to the bottom of it.

I bought the engine only about a month ago so it's under warranty but if it is something simple I can fix myself it would be nice to not have to ship it to Athearn...who knows how long before I get it back.

Back