Help Identifying a Train

mbh

Hello,

My father-in-law had a model train when he was a child and in the course of time it was lost. I would love to know what kind of train it is and if it would be possible to buy one like it? Could someone please help me identify the train? I only have one picture taken in 1954. He says it was a Lionel train but I would like to know which one specifically. Thank you so much!

Lionel Train.jpg

Santa Fe F units. Probably one powered and one dummy.

Try this google search
"lionel vintage F unit locos"

I am looking at eBay and wondering what the four digit numbers mean? Example: 2343, 2383, 2243.

No way to tell from the picture. They have the " War Bonnet " Santa Fe paint scheme. Probably doesn't make a ton of difference which number if this is going to be a gift. I doubt he would remember that. I believe Bruette is a better source for Lionel info than I am, But I hope this helps. Mike.

If you really want to replicate the picture, I have one of the IronRite units that is sitting on the left. Don't have the chair that came with it though!:D

old style washing machine with Top wringer!

We had one of those when I was a kid. I remember when Mom got the new style, for the first few months she would run the clean clothes through the ringer (which she had sitting next to our brand new machine) and then put them in the dryer, because stuff would be almost dry after the ringer was done with them.

I remember helping stick clothes through that, and being cautioned not to let my hands get in there. Because of my inquisitive nature, I stuck my hand in there to see what would happen. She stopped the thing and easily raised the top piece and I got my hand out. She never asked me to help do that again.

With the old washer, she could do almost all the clothes for a family of 7 in one or two loads, with the new one it took twice as many loads; so she wasn't happy at all.

Back to the train, matching the number displayed on the model will help get the exact one that is shown in the picture. I bet there are some out there. If Bruette were out there today he probablly knows. Wait a couple days and you may get your answer.

lasm

I would love to know what kind of train it is and if it would be possible to buy one like it? Could someone please help me identify the train? I only have one picture taken in 1954. He says it was a Lionel train but I would like to know which one specifically.
Things I notice from the photo that I am 100% sure of:
1. It is O-gauge not O27. You can tell this because the 27 meant that the track made a 27" circle. This is obviously a 32" meaning it is standard O. Another way to tell is that there are five sets of ties on each curved section of track. That fact will eliminate about 1/2 the possibilities of which unit it is.

2. The transformer is not Lionel. That is a standard MARX configuration transformer.

Things I can't tell 100% from the photo but will speculate on.
1. It looks like MARX track also. I am stating this by the height of the ties. Lionel standard track had very tall ties (which helped it achieve its nick name of - High Rail). These don't look so high. But the height of the ties is much harder to judge based off this photo.

2. Notice the huge black printing (I presume it says Santa Fe), that is too close to the red war bonnet paint, too low on the unit, and too bold. Not Lionel Like at all.

3. There are two features on the top of each loco. Some sort of vent. At first I thought they were the normal radiators of an F3 but the spacing is wrong. Nor are they proper for the big dynamic brake radiators of an FT unit. The Lionel #23xx F units did not have roofs that looked like this. My guess is that they are E7s. Lionel did not make any E units in that time period. So I think specifically that they are MARX part #1095. These units were made in both plastic and die cast.

P.S. There appear to be several of the units available on eBay right now. One example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Marx-...285235?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item56648f11b3
They appear to be fairly common, so I think if you wait you can probably find some in excellent condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am no train expert by any stretch outside of my little element. One thing I have noticed while talking to people not in the hobby is apparently everyone who ever had a train set when they were young had a Lionel. I say that with some sarcasm. I think that is probably how they remember it, However, I think most of them can only remember one name because of all of Lionel's advertising . It seems that way to me anyway. Lionel probably sold more trains for Marx and other manufacturers than for Lionel. I say this based on my personal opinion. I believe the average Joe buying a train set years ago for a child was probably not inclined to pay top dollar, but purchase the "close enough" model for use as a toy and not an adult collectors model. I base this solely on the fact that when they dig their old sets out for me to look at most of the "Lionel's" are actually Marx trains. The good news is if it is a Marx in your photos they are much more affordable.

I think you all are correct. It was bothering me that the spacing on the top of the train did not match the picture and now I know why. Thank you so much for all of your help, you really are experts! My father-in-law would have been about 5 in this picture (so I'm sure he didn't know the difference between a Lionel or a Marx), shortly after it was taken, his father abandoned the family and they were forced to move to the projects and leave behind all of the finer things (including the old time washing machine and train set). I really want to find him a train like he had because it represents a time when he remembers being happy as a child. Thank you so much for all of your help! :)

If I were you I would tell him what you learned and ask him if he would like to have a Lionel rather then the Marx train he had or some other new set.

When I was young I always wanted a Lionel but my single Mom could only afford a Tyco set for me. I know she probably went with out something herself to buy that and I loved that train set.

Now that I have a few dollars I buy myself Lionel trains, not the old ones, but the new ones with all the bells, whistles and more.

On the other hand one of the first things I looked for on eBay was a Tyco set to replace the one I lost after my divorce.

Either way you are a good guy for making the effort!

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Lionel-O-Santa-Fe-Super-Chief-Passenger-Train-Set-p/lio-6-30178.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Bach...d=1400953146&sr=8-14&keywords=lionel+santa+fe

you might want to crop and enlarge just the locos. They don't seem to look like the Lionel units I had. Something about the trucks seems different.

Back