Help Getting Concrete Color Correct

gjohnston

Slow Learner
I have made some concrete parking lots and grade crossings from drywall joint compound on my layout and am struggling to get the color correct. I bought some Woodland Scenics Liquid Pigment: Concrete C1217 thinking that would do the trick, but the color is way on the green side. I know concrete is not just one color, and I am not super picky about getting a specific color combination. I just want one that is realistic. What materials and techniques do I need to model these areas?
Thanks for the help.
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0314[486].JPG
    IMG_0314[486].JPG
    554.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0312[487].JPG
    IMG_0312[487].JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0313[485].JPG
    IMG_0313[485].JPG
    603.8 KB · Views: 158
Greg, I hope you get lots of responses. I am in the process of coming up with a color for my concrete silos and headhouses. Mixing my own as the LHS doesn’t order until Monday 1/4/2021 and I need this weekend. Concrete to me is a tough color because there are so many variation. As I noted in the Diner last night this is one of those colors that you know is right when you see it. Good luck, I will have a road in the complex too. I agree with you on the concrete from WS. I took mine outside and it still had a green leaning.

TomO

EFF15DE2-D681-455B-9FB2-64E122E48184.jpeg

F0549482-BAD1-446C-9DB3-523127EC619F.jpeg

5C5D4CB1-CAF5-4E2E-8533-8AD0AA0C7601.jpeg

I've used gray primer from a spray can then painted over it with black, white and burnt umber acrylics I "borrowed" from my kids. Mostly the black and white to get a light gray. Lighter than I thought it would be.
090528_005.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

The light isn't as good in the second photo and the concrete is actually lighter than it looks.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have been afraid to get into the mixing paint colors program as I am not much of an artist. But some of your posts and over an hour round trip to the craft store and the fact that I had some paints that when mixed together might work, I decided to give it a try.

I mixed some flat latex gray with some flat latex white to try and lighten up the gray. Then I applied it with a brush to the surface of the dried joint compound that I had scored to represent expansion joints. The paint went on too thick so I used a soft sponge with water in it to thin out the paint on the work surface. It dried a bit lighter than it looked when wet.

I was amazed at how well it turned out. It came out very close in color to some tunnel portals I installed. I may add a black wash later if I want to push my luck to age the look.

Thanks again for you thoughtful replies.

Greg

IMG_0333[488].JPG

Greg, that looks good. I think a thinned, very slightly darker gray applied sort of randomly will break up some of the evenness. Maybe the darker gray on your soft sponge dabbed on will mimic the color variations. The seams collect dirt and are often darker, maybe a thin pin wash or even a pencil in the grooves could bring them out some.

I use our dog for concrete color reference. And notice the dark seams and cracks.

IMG_0334.JPG

Experience says it's better to not actually paint match on the dog but holding painted samples close to her works fine.

Greg that looks good. Paul’s comments I agree with and once you weather it up it will be great looking. Remember if you don’t like it after weathering you have the formula you used to get it here and can just go over it. You did write down the formula, right? I have no latex paint in the house but the Color you came up with is what I am looking for. Keep posting as you play with it.

TomO

Paul Said,
I think a thinned, very slightly darker gray applied sort of randomly will break up some of the evenness. Maybe the darker gray on your soft sponge dabbed on will mimic the color variations. The seams collect dirt and are often darker, maybe a thin pin wash or even a pencil in the grooves could bring them out some.

Those are great ideas. I will let it dry overnight and try them out tomorrow.

Tom Said,
Paul’s comments I agree with and once you weather it up it will be great looking. Remember if you don’t like it after weathering you have the formula you used to get it here and can just go over it. You did write down the formula, right? I have no latex paint in the house but the Color you came up with is what I am looking for. Keep posting as you play with it.

Formula? o_O Well, I have the two cans of paint I was mixing together. But I did save the extra I had left over. I can experiment on a small section so if I goof it up I will have the extra to cover it up and try again.

After I left the railroad in 1981 I went back to my previous job poring concrete. 25 years of looking at the concrete. So I to wanted to get it correct.
I found the best match is Testors 1226 Flat Dark Aircraft Grey. I use it for all my concrete projects.

bridge_alley_6.jpg

Paul Said,

Those are great ideas. I will let it dry overnight and try them out tomorrow.

Tom Said,

Formula? o_O Well, I have the two cans of paint I was mixing together. But I did save the extra I had left over. I can experiment on a small section so if I goof it up I will have the extra to cover it up and try again.

You have to be able to repeat it or give it to your forum internet buddies. Just kidding, been there many times.

I don’t need a formula I just mix it till it’s right.

TomO

I looked it up and could only find it in spray can form. Have you seen it in bottles?

Greg

I think only in spray cans. I use 2 methods. I build what ever I need take it outside and spray it there or tape everything off and spray it just before bedtime. The retaining wall in the above photo I sprayed using the 2nd method. I also have a very good respirator. I don't like breathing that stuff in.
George

Here is the concrete work after outlining the joints with a mechanical pencil and blotching on some darker gray with a sponge. I am very pleased with the result. I will probably add some parking lot lines and some road grime too.
Thanks to all for your help.
IMG_0334[490].JPG
IMG_0335[491].JPG
IMG_0336[492].JPG
IMG_0337[493].JPG

Back