help finding loads

can anyone tell me where I can purchase coal loads for these cars? I emailed JWD products over a week ago and no response. thanks

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKo8E7E,p6uISBRiRkkiogg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKo8E7E,p6uISBRiRkkiogg~~60_57.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 161
I have used styrafoam, spray painted flat black for coal loads. Easy to cut and shape, easy to insert and pull out of the hoppers.

Hey as Ken said, just make your own. It's cheaper, looks just as good, and fun. I took some foam roadbed and cut it with a sharp hobby knife to fit. This takes some patience but once you got the right size, the rest is easy. Take the foam piece and cover it with saw dust. Take some wet water or 70% alcohol and coat it. Then some 50/50 white glue and coat it. Let it dry for about 36 hrs. Then spray paint it black. To allow some flexibility, consider brushing some matte medium on them. It will dry clear and won't let the load break when you set it in the car. I made 25 loads this way...

Brad

I would have said that if you want something that looks like coal ,use coal. Smash it up with a hammer put it thru a sieve to get scale size then sprinkle on your black painted Styrofoam plug and glue it with 50/50 white glue and water

would you please post a picture. thanks
Hey as Ken said, just make your own. It's cheaper, looks just as good, and fun. I took some foam roadbed and cut it with a sharp hobby knife to fit. This takes some patience but once you got the right size, the rest is easy. Take the foam piece and cover it with saw dust. Take some wet water or 70% alcohol and coat it. Then some 50/50 white glue and coat it. Let it dry for about 36 hrs. Then spray paint it black. To allow some flexibility, consider brushing some matte medium on them. It will dry clear and won't let the load break when you set it in the car. I made 25 loads this way...

Brad

Coal Loads

I use Woodland Scenic's coal that is attached to the foam or plastic load with white glue. Looks realistic.

Thanks.

Greg

I took some balsa wood, about 1/8-inch thick or so, cut it to fit the hopper, painted it flat black, using acrylic paint. While it was wet, I sprinkled model railroad coal on it, and let it dry. If I wanted more heaped up, I took white glue and spread it on, followed by more coal. You can also get some pre-moulded coal loads that may fit. If not, go back to my original idea. You can also work up other loads. For example, I have a farmer that raises sugar beets. These are carried to a beet processing plant in open hoppers. For this load I use a bunch of rice grains, dyed brown or dipped in very diluted brown paint. I use white glue to hold it in place. (Processed sugar is loaded into covered hoppers at the plant, or into boxcars marked "Bulk Sugar" or bagged in boxcars. Of course, you don't see the finished products, except maybe some bags on the loading platform of the plant.) You could also pretend the dyed rice are potatoes.

There is a guy here in RF&Pville (Fredericksburg) that just makes different loads. I got two of those Conrail hoppers. I had his card, I'm gonna go see if I can find it and I'll get his info to you. I see him at the Timonium MD show

Back