Hello

PlebianAngel

Hi all. I'm new to this site, obviously. I'm starting to do research on train layouts and the like. I've always wanted to get into model trains so I thought this was a good time to start.

I do need some suggestions on what books to look thru. My weakness is all this electrical stuff that has to be done. What is the best book to buy to learn to do that. I also need suggestions on scenery also and track layouts. I'm a total newbie to this as you can tell.

Thanks.

Welcome to the board and to MRRing! I was in the same boat as you when you when I started my layout but now I am confident on what I am doing. The key to remember is that you are building your layout for YOU. It is there for your enjoyment. It doesn't have to be perfect. A lot of the really good layouts you see are by guys who have worked on model railroads for years and who probaly started out like you and I.

Wiring and scenery are not as complicated as you think and there are a lot of good books and online information. This board is a great source of information and have a lot of helpful people. Layout wise I suggest you get a copy of 101 Track Plans for Model Railroads and 48 Top Notch Track Plans for ideas. These can get you started.

One other suggestions is that since this is your first don't make it complicated. Design a layout that is small and can be expanded at a later date.

Welcome!
I'm fairly new as well. I don't post much 'cause I'm still learning from these guys. You can learn alot here.
My suggestion would be research, learn, research some more, and learn some more. Don't be too quick to start buying stuff, especially if you have limited funds (like me). If you have a hobby shop close by, look at what they have regarding layout books, etc.

Welcome to the forum. Ask any and all questions you may have. As Steve B said the only dumb question is the one not asked.

-Smoke

Thanx for the welcome everyone. I will check out all those links. I'm not in a hurry to start yet as I don't have much room, but am looking for better living situations. So figured while I had time, I would do all the reading!

Welcome to the forum!

I'd recommend going to a hobby shop and looking thru the various Kalmbach books. You'll find a lot of great info and enjoyable reading on a variety of model railroading subjects.

As for your future layout, you might want to come up with a theme first and then develop the plan around it. Research and planning is a very enjoyable part of model railroading. Enjoy the ride. :)

:) Welcome Pleb! It doesn't take long to pick up the hobby once you get going. The fellows have offered good advice already; do a lot of research, study, and planning and it will lead to years of fun and enjoyment. Soon you can become a full citizen with all the rights and pleasures of the Modelrailroad world.;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again everyone.

My screen name? long and dull story. I couldn't think of any train names. My best friend always goes by DismalAngel online and I feel like a plebian right now due to life circumstances (and that's really boring so I"ll save you the pain) so I chose PlebianAngel to go with her name. I used it for another site and just carried it over here.

selector, all I know is I want to do HO scale at this point. I think I found some room in the basement so have to get it cleaned out first to see how much room I have. Just looking at all sorts of layouts and scenery design right now. I don't want to go too big because i'm just starting and I want to move within the next year.

Back